SGA Special Election Winners Sworn In

Kristina Vakhman, News Editor

Central Connecticut’s Student Government Association swore in some fresh faces last Wednesday, filling the organization’s available spots for first-year, at-large, commuter and resident senators.

As always, The Recorder asked the SGA’s newest members what their goals are as elected representatives of the student body.

First-Year Senators

“My only goals are to be a great asset to the team, use my passion for people to better this campus and be here for you in any way possible!” – Jacqueline Marks, Freshman, Political Science, 38 votes

At-Large Senators

“My first goal is to make a change on campus safety and culture. There is a lack of interest and care of keeping this campus safe and having simple things like blue lights around campus fixed. I would like more students to be able to get the help and resources they need. One service that needs to be fixed is the counseling center on campus that lacks the necessary quantity of counselors for our school’s population. I believe that Central should be focused on keeping their students supported at all levels. Additionally, I would like to [help the] SGA’s External Affairs Committee [with] their agenda of college affordability. I believe if our government is making decisions about our future and education, we should have a say in it.” – Paige Sorenson, Junior, Political Science, 110 votes

“My goals are to try and create a new pronoun policy for the school and residence halls. I also want to work with trying to review the gender-inclusive housing options on campus and work to make resources like this more accessible to the students.” – Armando Osario, Sophomore, Social Work, 110 votes

“I intend to assist the student body as effectively as possible by being a listening ear to whatever issues they are experiencing on campus and to work towards assisting them in making it feel like a home away from home. I would also like to work on more diversity initiatives on campus to encourage more togetherness amongst the student body.” – Rena Lewis, Senior, Political Science, 104 votes

“I hope to learn about the processes we have here at CCSU, [like those] involved with getting degrees. Many students come in hoping to graduate in four years, but most need to spend an extra semester in order to finish all the credits and classes required. I would hope to look into why it is taking students longer to finish degrees than they initially plan. I [also] hope to improve student’s experiences here, both through academics and through activities on campus.” – Shannon Williams, Sophomore, Secondary Education for English, 83 votes

Commuter Senators

“My goals are to make CCSU feel like more of a home for commuters. I want them to feel like they don’t just go to class and go back home every day. I really want to advertise events on campus better and make them at moe available times for commuters so they have that sense of community.” – Erin Malanga, Junior, Exercise Science, 40 votes

“My main goal is to advocate for all students to ensure that everyone feels like a part of our campus and the decision-making process. As a fellow commuter, I can understand not feeling as involved or included in student affairs as others. I want you all to know that [the] SGA is super accessible and committed to hearing what you have to say and uniting our amazing campus!” – Christian Reyes, Senior, Political Science, 35 votes

Resident Senators

“My goals for being on [the] SGA are really to help form more of a connection between athletics and the SGA. I’m on the women’s soccer team and from what I’ve experienced, there’s not enough interaction between [the] SGA and the athletics program. I’m hoping I can be an advocate for both groups so that we can grow as a community here at CCSU.” – Emily Hogan, Junior, Political Science, 71 votes

“My goal with having this position is to have residents feel safe while on campus – that students know proper actions to take if you are a witness to unusual behaviors. But [my goal is] also to have fun and experience everything you can while being at CCSU while having us all come together, to get involved and perhaps make lifelong friends with our neighboring fellow residents. [I want to also] include more diversity and to understand who we all are as individuals. This is our second home and everyone deserves to be happy, and I want to help us get there. Go Blue Devils!” – Ivie Enagbare, Junior, Human Resources Management, 58 votes