Football Lands Twelve On National Signing Day

Daniel Fappiano, Layout Editor

“We are very excited about the class we have signed,” interim head football coach Ryan McCarthy said to Central Connecticut’s Athletics Department about this year’s incoming recruiting class. After taking over for the departed Pete Rossomando, the former offensive coordinator had a tall task of replacing some of the team’s biggest names.

Players such as quarterback Jacob Dolegala and defensive lineman Chris Tinkham graduated while players such as cornerback Grant Ibeh and wide receiver Joey Fields decided to transfer. However, despite losing some of their upperclassmen talent, McCarthy thinks the newest Blue Devils will be worthwhile additions.

“Our coaches worked diligently to recruit this group of talented student-athletes who we believe have the ability to have a positive, and in some cases immediate impact on the field,” McCarthy continued to Central’s Athletics Department.

“We welcome these players and families into our program, and we are excited to begin working with them.”

On the offensive side of the ball, CCSU added Georgia State graduate transfer Aaron Winchester at quarterback. Winchester is the only Central recruit to have seen playing time at the college level, appearing in 15 games with GSU, completing 61 passes for 721 yards and five touchdowns. The redshirt senior also ran for 405 yards and three touchdowns on 102 carries.

Winchester is expected to compete to replace Dolegala at quarterback in 2019.

Outside of Winchester, the Blue Devils added two wide receivers in Kyren Petteway and Shamar Mohr along with two tight ends in Connor Peterson and Nas Johnson. They also signed running back Malik Thomas and offensive lineman Jordin Martell.

With Fields transferring and the program also losing Courtney Rush and Jose Garcia to graduation, there is a chance Petteway and Mohr are pushed into immediate playing time. While the Blue Devils still have senior Arthur Gilmore at tight end, signing both Peterson and Johnson add to the team’s depth going forward.

Thomas may struggle to find work as a freshman with running backs Aaron Dawson, Drew Jean-Guillaume and Enyce Walker all still on the team. However, he proved how explosive he can be as a senior at Danbury High School, rushing for 713 yards and 10 touchdowns.

Defensively, the Blue Devils signed a pair of defensive lineman in Prince Boyd and Jaavon Brown, as well as a pair of outside linebackers in Jayden Anderson and Duane Binns.

The Blue Devils are losing Tinkham on the line and fellow All-NEC talent Kenneth Keen at outside linebacker. These four players should have an opportunity to make an immediate impact on the program.

Boyd could be the standout of the group after he amassed 101 total tackles, 17.5 sacks and two fumble recoveries during his senior season at Hillhouse High School. He was voted to the Walter Camp All-Connecticut team.

CCSU also added a cornerback in Kobe Stingler. Central consistently played freshman Jahlil Brown and Dexter Lawson at corner last season, proving they are willing to let incoming recruits make an immediate difference. While Stingler does not have a direct path for playing time, he clearly has a fan in McCarthy.

“Kobe is driven, wants to be elite and has the necessary athleticism to be a difference maker at cornerback,” McCarthy told the Athletics Department.

The 2019 season will come with a lot of changes for the Blue Devils. However, as McCarthy begins his first year as head coach, he believes his first recruiting class will make a difference for years to come.