McDonald’s Replacing Toys With Books Is A Good Thing

Julia Jade Moran

McDonald’s restaurants in the U.S. should replace Happy Meal toys with books.

Kelly Langevin, Copy Editor

McDonald’s restaurants in New Zealand are replacing “Happy Meal” toys with books by author Roald Dahl, according to their website. The fast food chain’s marketing is a decent attempt for a somewhat better reputation.

Some familiar books by the famous author include “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory,” “Matilda” and “James and the Giant Peach.”

McDonald’s launched the “Happy Meal Readers” program in 2001. Since then, the company claims that over 450 million books have been given out. In 2018, the chain said it hopes to expand the program to more than 100 markets by the end of 2019, according to MSN.

I am beyond guilty of going to McDonald’s way too often despite knowing the food itself is not the healthiest by any means. However, people become in the mood for something quick and, now and then, parents will give in after the begging and stomping becomes enough and end up at McDonald’s. Even going on a far trip sometimes leaves you at McDonald’s because it is convenient.

If parents give in or it has been a long trip, at least seeing a book in their children’s hands might make them feel more at peace with their fast food decision.

Children are always curious. It may also help that the books are well known and there is a possibility that the youngsters have seen the movies, making them want to read what they have just gotten with their meal.

Additionally, reading to young children or having them practice themselves at a young age improves their cognitive development, according to the Children’s Bureau.

A study conducted by the University of Michigan also found that students of a young age who are exposed to reading before preschool are more likely to do well when they reach their period of formal education.

McDonald’s participates in events such as National Literacy Month in September and handed out books for two days to celebrate reading across the United States in 2017, according to the company’s newsroom.

McDonald’s also claims to be a supporter of Reading is Fundamental, the nation’s largest children’s literacy organization. The chain said it wants to reach out to families by donating books and replacing toys to try and establish a bond with customers and to seem like a more approachable eating place.

Families know that McDonald’s isn’t the healthiest choice to feed their children, but for some, it may be all they can afford, along with other fast food restaurants.

If this is a place you go to eat once in a while or it’s a more common stop, having a book instead of a toy can be beneficial. Then the child has something to keep for longer than just a toy they will lose once they get into a car.

It is a decent step into helping children keep reading or learn how to read. Maybe in the future, McDonald’s will give out toys along with a book with Happy Meals.

If this isn’t the case, at least their attempts now may be one step into a positive direction.