Central To Implement New Master’s Degree Programs

Sarah Willson, Editor-in-Chief

Hoping to increase enrollment and to expand academic opportunities for Central Connecticut students, the university is adding two new master-level programs recently approved by the Connecticut State Colleges and Universities (CSCU) Board of Regents.

The new programs include a Master of Science in Supply and Chain Logistics Management, as well as one in Athletic Training.

According to Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs Dr. David Dauwalder, the Supply and Chain Logistics Management major focuses on strategic supply management and logistics, global sourcing, partnerships, demand and inventory management.”

“The other one in Athletic Training is out of the school of Education and Professional Studies, Department of Physical Education and Human Performance,” Dauwalder said.

The Master of Science in Supply and Chain Logistics Management is known as a “three plus two program,” meaning that students stay in the undergraduate degree program for the first three years of their education and then begin taking master-degree courses their senior year.

As for Athletic Training, Dauwalder said the university is moving to a system that would no longer certify programs or accept students as undergraduates into Athletic Training Programs.

“They’re no longer going to recognize programs that simply give them undergraduate education,” Dauwalder said. They’re going to require a master’s degree to be a Certified Athletic Trainer and they’re going to require two years of clinical activity at the graduate level.”

Regarding the three plus two program, Dauwalder said students working on the Exercise Science bachelor’s degree program will be able to shift over to the three plus two program in Athletic training their senior year.

“[Students will] be able to share some credits, both graduate and undergraduate during their senior year and then finish up their master’s degree in the fifth year,” Dauwalder explained.

Along with the new master programs, a bachelor’s program in Cyber Security at CCSU passed last spring.

“One feature the cybersecurity program has that I’m particularly pleased about is that its a collaboration between two different departments,” Dauwalder said. “It’s kind of shared between our Computer Science Department and the Computer Electronics and Graphics Technology Department.”

Despite being passed less than a year ago, Dauwalder said there is a “concept paper” completed and a proposal currently being drafted for a Bachelor’s of Science in Electrical Engineering.

“There are also a couple Master degree programs in engineering at that same stage,” Dauwalder added. “This would be a Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering and a Master of Science in Civil Engineering. Those are both under development.”

The CSCU Board of Regents meets about six times a year to discuss new proposals.

When asked about whether or not the new programs would impact tuition, Dauwalder said “[the university has] no idea what’s happening at this point with tuition.”

“That’s a discussion that needs to take place at the system level,” Dauwalder said. “We haven’t heard anything about the discussions particularly with the change over with the new governor and new state administration.”

Still, Dauwalder said tuition is a discussion that the CSCU Board of Regents should be moving to “over the next few months,” adding that Governor Ned Lamont will be putting out his initial budget plan for the state later this month.

Even with the uncertainty, Dauwalder said he believes the programs being implemented will only benefit CCSU students.

“The amount of collaboration that’s involved in putting together a program like that across two departments is something that’s been very positive,” Dauwalder said. “I think. It’s going to provide some great opportunities for students.”