C.A.N. Gets Groovy With A Night Of 70’s Bingo

Tyra McClung, Assistant Arts & Entertainment Editor

Thursday, Jan. 31, marked the one year anniversary of Central Activities Network president, Taia Lionetti bringing bingo to Central Connecticut, which was a huge hit at Springfield College before she transferred here.

As part of C.A.N.’s Winter Week, the organization collaborated with Devils Den @ 10 p.m. to present ‘That So 70’s Bingo’ in Alumni Hall, which included many prizes, trivia-based Kahoot and a record-style photo booth.

More than 250 CCSU students littered the massive room in hopes of having a good time playing bingo with their friends. The crowd was heated with many devoted competitors to win prizes, such as an Roku television and Apple Watch and record player set with a Fleetwood Mac record.

During breaks, people had to answer trivia questions in Kahoot to win extra prizes and the theme was 70’s, asking about music and facts where people can select answers which can also help people learn more about the theme in general. Other activities included best dancers, which could receive extra prizes.

Vice President of Programming, Nadia Santone said: “I loved how we were able to put our own spin on this bingo. With decades we were able to be creative with decorations, novelties and prizes.

There was also an activity outside that was records that you could personalize with the font and song and artist. Bingo was played in different patterns for winning like if you had a bingo horizontally, vertically, made an X and four corners.

CCSU students Nicole Michaels Chelum Okoro stated that bingo is on campus is a great time, it was pack and a big turn out.

“Makes me happy to see all of the students come together for an event,” Michaels stated. “Having a good time hoping to win something,” Okoro added.

Bingo helped a lot of people get out of their comfort zone and get to know other people.

C.A.N. program director, Samantha Duncan, dedicated her winter break to building this 1970’s extravaganza.

“I am very surprised on the amount of people that showed up tonight,” Duncan said, “I love when students show enthusiasm and want to be a part of something. It is fun to watch and I think the crowd really loved it too.”

“Bingo is always a crowd pleaser so I’m glad students had fun,” Santone added. “Sam did a really good job in making this event her own and representing C.A.N.”