Editorial: Connecticut Needs Free Tuition

The reality of taking out thousands of dollars in student loans is one that over two-thirds of college students are faced with by the time they even enter their twenties.

Last year, it was reported that over 44 million Americans hold approximately $1.5 trillion in student debt, according to Forbes. That number is only expected to rise.

The average college graduate, according to CNBC, has about $37,000 in student loans, a $20,000 increase compared to 13 years ago. Now, the average student is forced to fork over a nearly $400-a-month loan payment. Because of this, college graduates are having to put their lives, and sometimes their family’s lives, on hold in order to repay what is most of the time the federal government.

Though it may be virtually impossible to receive a “free” education, there are steps the United States and the state of Connecticut can take to help ease the burden of student loans.

Newly inaugurated Democratic Governor Ned Lamont proposed tuition-free community college for state residents who would promise to live and work in Connecticut after graduation. Not only is the idea appealing to those not wanting to sign their name on a student loan contract, but it’s also a way for the state to help aid its decreasing population problem.

One state that has implemented tuition-free college for middle-class citizens is neighboring New York.

With this, nearly one million families who are making $125,000 a year or less will qualify to attend college without tuition costs, according to New York’s website.

Of course, Secretary of Education Betsy Devos reminded the country that nothing is truly “free,” as students will still have to pay additional fees like room and board, textbooks and other living expenses. Still, free tuition has the ability to reduce a students debt up to over $6,000 a year in New York.

The program, known as The Excelsior Scholarship, began in the Fall 2017 semester and is “being phased in” over a three year period. The only catch is that students who utilize it must plan to live and work in New York after graduation for the same number of years they received funding.

Not only helpful to middle-class families, free tuition would also help motivate high school graduates to apply for college. Those who are accepted, according to Forbes, are much more likely to attend and earn a degree. In fact, college enrollment is expected to rise by 10 percent with New York’s new implementation.

With Lamont’s proposal, Connecticut, and one day the rest of the United States, could easily follow in the footsteps of New York and help ease the financial burden that so many young people are forced to carry.

As New York Governor Andrew Cuomo said, “[Education] should always be an option even if you can’t afford it.”