Winter Break 2018: Your Travel Essentials

Sarah Willson, Managing Editor

In just over a week, if not less, you will hopefully be on your way to your hometown and looking forward to putting the fall semester behind you and spending the holidays with the people that matter to you most. But before you race off of campus, don’t forget to pack the essentials.

If You’re Staying In State:

Chances are if you’re not planning on leaving Connecticut, you’re not too far from your campus home. That being said, one of the best things you can do this holiday season to avoid clutter and confusion is pack light. If you’re only a short drive away from campus or even your apartment, anything you forget won’t be too far from your reach. That being said, only bring the essentials home with you. Clothes, shoes, any books or extra homework and of course, whatever technology you may need to keep you entertained. Remember, you don’t want to have to move all the way back into your room at home for just a short month.

If You’re Leaving The State:

If you’re heading out of Connecticut, even if it’s just for a short period of time, you might need to pack a bit more than you would compared to if you were just heading to your hometown. If you’re going somewhere warm and sunny, your wardrobe might be key (You don’t want to be in Florida wearing a parka and UGG boots). Remember, it’s not as cold here as it is everywhere else. Aside from that, still pack light. Whether you’re flying, driving or taking a train, it’s a pain to lug around a giant suitcase- especially if you’re in a hurry.

If You’re Leaving The Country:

If you’re waving goodbye to the United States for the next month, congratulations on your next adventure. Traveling abroad is both one of the most fun and rewarding things you will ever do. Though it’s still necessary to pack smart, don’t forget your camera. No, not you’re iPhone camera, a real one. Having the ability to snap a polaroid or capture some cool shots on a professional camera is much more exciting than hitting a small circular button on your phone. Not only will the pictures come out better, but you will also be forced to actually print out your photos. Maybe you can even make a scrapbook out of them.