CCSU Confirms Bacterial Meningitis Case On-Campus

Sarah Willson, Managing Editor

Central Connecticut announced Monday morning that a student had a confirmed case of bacterial meningitis.

The student, President Dr. Zulma Toro said in an email sent out to students and faculty, became “seriously ill” and has been receiving treatment as a safety precaution. The Connecticut State Department of Public Health then determined that the student was infected with meningococcal meningitis, serogroup B, according to a follow-up email from Dr. Toro.

Dr. Toro also said that the Connecticut State Department of Health emphasized that this is a singular case and “is not considered an outbreak.”

“Although this is concerning news, we assure you that the university is working with health experts to ensure the safety of our campus community and are confident we have reached out to anyone who might be at risk for contracting the infection,” Dr. Toro said.

According to the State Department of Health, “casual contact” does not transmit bacterial meningitis and is only spread by close “person-to-person” contact.

Dr. Toro urged anyone who suspects they have symptoms to visit their primary care physician or go to an urgent care center. Information on the symptoms can be found on the Centers for Disease Control web page.

Anyone with questions can call CCSU Health Services at 860-832-1939.