Football Fails To Win NEC

Trevi Alickolli, Staff Writer

The Central Connecticut football team failed to finish the 2018 season strong and cost themselves the chance to repeat as NEC Champions when they fell to Duquesne 38-31. A miraculous 56-yard touchdown pass will less than 30 seconds to go in regulation was the Blue Devils’ undoing.

The Blue Devils finish their season with a 6-5 overall record and a 4-2 record in the NEC. In the last two seasons, Central had a 10-2 record in NEC play, but failed to repeat as champions and appear in the Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) tournament.

Although, not trying to make excuses as to why they lost the game, head coach Pete Rossomando was not happy with how the game was officiated.

“Just the way it is. We’re playing against Duquesne. We’re playing against the officials. It’s a tough way to play a game I can tell you that right now,” Rossomando said.

Senior quarterback, Jacob Dolegala led his troops into battle for his final stand as a Blue Devil and did not disappoint with his performance. Dolegala had 219 yards through the air in his final collegiate outing with three touchdowns and two interceptions. In addition, he rushed for 29 yards and found the end zone once.

He finishes his CCSU career atop multiple school records, as he is now the all-time leader in passing yards with 8,129 yards, a mark that is also good for fifth all-time in NEC history. On Saturday, Dolegala also eclipsed the school record for passing touchdowns with 47.

His head coach could not have been any prouder of what he has been able to accomplish as a player and how he has grown a person. Rossomando did not hold anything back.

“I could never say enough about Jake, he’s been one of the greatest I’ve ever coached, not only as a player but as a person,” Rossomando said. “He’s just a joy to be around and he’s everything we ask for in a football player. He exemplifies all that it means to be a Blue Devil.”

But, Dolegala needed someone on the other end of his passes and his number one target on the day was Tyshaun James.

The sophomore quarterback turned receiver saved his best performance for last and had four receptions for 96 yards and two touchdowns, one of which he outraced everyone to the end zone for a 62-yard score.

“Incredible. Incredible, he played really well,” Rossomando said of James’ performance. “You could see him coming along through the whole season and today was really a breakout for him.”

The defense as a whole did not have a great day, allowing 38 points and the game winner, but two standouts come in a pair of defensive backs DJ Exilhomme and Tajik Bagley.

Exilhomme recorded 16 total tackles, forced three fumbles and has two pass breakups. Bagley recorded six tackles and the lone interception for the Blue Devils while shutting down anyone lined up across from him.

Aaron Dawson had another productive outing as he gained 126 yards of total offense (81 rushing, 45 receiving) and caught a touchdown.

The season is over for the Blue Devils, who will now put their focus toward the offseason and training to get better in hopes of playing at the highest level of competition next season.

They will have key departures who will be tough to replace but have young key pieces in place, giving them the hopes of being a winning program going forward.