Women’s Soccer Wins NEC Championship

Daniel Flores, Staff Writer

With a passionate and determined performance, Central Connecticut’s women’s soccer team claimed the Northeast Conference Championship and a spot in the NCAA Tournament with a 2-1 win over Saint Francis (PA). This win registers as their tenth straight and 17 straight without a loss. The title marks Central’s ninth all-time and seventh under head coach Mick D’Arcy, last winning it in 2014.

The Blue Devils dominated the attack throughout the first half. The team provided a number of dangerous goal scoring opportunities but would be denied from very big saves from the Red Flash goalkeeper, Julia Hernan. Pressure would rise from SFU at the end of the half, but senior goalkeeper Ashley Cavanaugh did well to make sure nothing reached the back of Central’s net.

Central continued their control of the game in the second half, working hard to find a goal to lead them to the title, which seemed very imminent. Then finally in the 67th minute, sophomore Jenna Rae Covello broke down the right flank and sent a low cross to senior Danielle Pearse, who just got enough of a toe to the ball to put it in the net for a 1-0 lead.

The Blue Devils did their best to maintain the lead but ended up conceding a free kick and the Red Flash’s Mariana Jaleca sent it into the heart of the box where teammate Sara Suler got her head to it to put it over Cavanaugh for the equalizer.

“It was disappointing to let one in, but we regrouped and got right back to what we were doing: attack, attack, attack,” D’Arcy said of the team’s focus.

But in the final two minutes of the match, after hitting the woodwork twice earlier in the match, Covello picked the ball up on her natural right flank, cut inside and took a left-footed strike sending the ball beyond Hernan’s reach and into the back of the net for a final score of 2-1.

“It was a great weekend for the both of them, Dani to get three goals and Jenna to assist them alongside her own, if anyone deserved to get one it was her,” D’Arcy said of the duo of Pearse and Covello.

Central proved their domination in attack as they tallied 21 shots compared to SFU’s 12. The defense also stood out as Cavanaugh made five saves and her defenders shut down all other dangerous attacks.

As the final whistle blew, the stadium roared for the Blue Devils as they stormed onto the pitch.

Pearse, who scored three goals in the tournament, was named the tournament’s Most Valuable Player and secured a spot on the All-Tournament Team alongside junior Yo Tachibana and sophomore Erica Bardes.

“It’s an amazing feeling definitely but it was a team effort to get the goals, so I owe it to my teammates, the trophy is for the team,” Pearse said of the honor.

“The team handled it really well, we came into every game and gave it our all. Our team has the biggest heart, and we show it on and off the field. Throughout the whole season, our team has been there. Every person on the field has been a huge contribution, and 10-0 feels amazing, we’re excited for the NCAA,” junior defender and co-captain Shauny Alterisio said.

Cavanaugh made big saves in the tournament to keep the journey going. She also praised her team, with humility.

“Honestly, the shutouts don’t come from me, they come from the team and I remind them of that constantly. There is no me without them, I have a fabulous defense in front of me and in front of them a fabulous team,” Cavanaugh said.

“It’s unbelievable, they’re an especially wonderful group of people so to get a day like this at home in front of our own fans, I couldn’t be happier for them. We got the talent, but our drive was just so special, we wanted to win it here, and alongside our passion we made it happen,” D’Arcy said of his team.

The Blue Devils now head to the NCAA Championship with their opponents soon to be determined. The team feels confident about the upcoming showcase and they’re ready to do some damage, as Coach D’Arcy says.

“With all our talent, drive, and passion, this team is going to compete with anyone,” D’Arcy said.