Editor’s Column: Who Run The World? Girls!

Angela Fortuna, Editor-in-Chief

Women all across the country are looked down on for their gender. Whether it be for their abilities, opinions or involvement, this is not acceptable.

Stereotypes against women’s abilities continue to generalize our passion and commitment to someone or something. And this isn’t a recent trend; women have been generalized for centuries.

In the mid-1800s, some women’s suffrage supporters voiced their concerns primarily about their inability to own their own property, keep their own wages or sign contracts. In the 1800s, women were considered second-class citizens.

The 1900s are really when women started to voice their concerns with the stereotypes against their own gender and fight for what they deserve. This shaped women’s rights to be what they are today.

Many women would agree that it’s not just about the recognition, it’s about the impact. What good is something if it isn’t recognized or taught over a long period of time?

More and more women have proven their worth over the past few years by holding important leadership roles, especially on this campus. This can be seen through the rise in women holding leadership roles.

Central Activities Network (C.A.N.) currently has an all-female leadership team of 10 this year.

Two-thirds of the Student Government Association’s (SGA)  e-board is female, something that hasn’t happened in a while.

The Recorder has three males in our editorial staff of 12.

The president of our university represents both female and Hispanic minorities in her role. President Dr. Zulma Toro and other females in leadership positions have shown that we as females in this country are worth more than we’re given credit for.

These are just some of the examples to point out that show women will continue their way to the top despite double standards that face them and their capabilities.

Even though females have been elected to leadership positions, a woman has never been elected to the most important leadership position, president of the United States.

Hopefully, this changes in the near future. It says a lot that the citizens of the U.S. would rather elect 45 male presidents then take a chance with a strong, female candidate.

Because of the constant pressure to be better, it is hard to focus on what you want to accomplish because you’re so worried about pleasing others. This is especially true for us females.

With the already negative connotation of females’ capabilities, it is hard to prove your worth when everyone has preconceived notions of you. It is not fair to judge someone’s character and abilities based on the stereotypical information that is constantly being drilled into people’s heads.

It’s about fairness and equality, not dominance.

You don’t have to be a feminist to recognize that women deserve to be treated with respect.

Gender discrimination needs to be a thing of the past. It is time to recognize females’ abilities and work toward a more inclusive environment.