Women’s Soccer Caps Off Perfect NEC Season

Daniel Flores, Staff Writer

Finishing their regular season with a 1-0 win against Saint Francis (PA) over the weekend, Central Connecticut’s women’s soccer team registered a stellar 14-1-2 overall record while maintaining a perfect Northeast Conference record of 8-0.

Central conquered their conference while doubling the number of wins (14) as the second-place Red Flash.

The first half of the match was held at a deadlock, with a strong defensive showing from senior goalkeeper Ashley Cavanaugh and the back line. Together, they fended off five corner kick chances from SFU and Cavanaugh made a fine save on a penalty kick to keep the team alive.

The Blue Devils escaped with the match winner in the 82nd minute when sophomore Jenna Rae Covello sent a cross into the box for junior Yo Tachibana. But the ball deflected off a Red Flash defender into the net. Covello has proven her crosses are dangerous, gathering a couple of assists from them in previous matches and this one ended up sealing the deal for Central’s regular season.

Despite winning the match, the Blue Devils were outdone in shots, totaling 11 compared to 17 from SFU.

Cavanaugh proved her reliability as the last defender, making seven saves and recording her eleventh shutout of the season to ensure their perfect NEC record.

Before their final regular season match, freshman Blue Devil, Roma McLaughlin, was recognized with the NEC Rookie of the Week award for the second time of her first season, with her two goals against Mount St. Mary in Central’s 4-0 win. McLaughlin has been a standout player on the pitch this season, being key in build-up play, creating offensive chances and even stronger defensive efforts. The Donegal, Ireland native proved her immediate impact this season, having started fourteen of fifteen contests, compiling two goals and four assists (tied second in team assists with senior Charlotte Maurer).

Central now head into the NEC Tournament looking to come away with the silverware, with their first match on Nov. 2 at 1 p.m. when they kick off against Fairleigh Dickinson. The other side of the bracket will then play at 4 p.m. on the same day, with Mount St. Mary’s facing Saint Francis (PA).

Should the Blue Devils win their semifinal match, they would take on the winner of the second game on Sunday. All games in the tournament will take place at the CCSU Soccer Field.