Netflix It: ‘To All The Boys I’ve Loved’

Shwar Zaidi, Staff Writer

Imagine your secret high school crushes were spilled throughout your entire school — embarrassing, right?

The story begins with high school junior Lara Jean Covey (portrayed by Lana Condor), who writes letters to boys she feels an intense passion for before locking the letters away in her closet.

After a night of hanging out with her sister, Kitty (Anna Cathcart), Lara Jean falls asleep on the couch and her sister sneaks into Lara Jean’s room only to come across her collection of love letters.

“To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before” depicts this mortifying high school experience for Lara Jean. This 2018 American teen romance flick was directed by Susan Johnson and was recently released by Netflix on Aug. 17. The movie is based on Jenny Han’s 2014 novel with the same name.

The Monday following the discovery, Lara Jean is confronted by her former crush Peter (Noah Centineo) about getting a letter mailed to him. The atypical morning continued with Lara Jean panicking as she ran off when she saw Josh (Israel Broussard) approaching her with a letter of his own. The confrontations did not stop there though.

Lara Jean had to awkwardly explain to her crush Peter that she is no longer interested in Josh anymore; she only wanted Josh to think she lost interest in him.

Peter then concocts this seemingly brilliant plan of fake dating Lara Jean to make his ex-girlfriend Gen (Emilija Baranac) jealous. She willingly agrees and for the next few months pretends to date Peter, fooling everybody. However, when Peter finds Gen is actually jealous, he finds himself conflicted with his true feelings for both girls.

Lara Jean and Peter ended up expressing their true feelings to each other by the end of the film. But who do they end up with?

Teen drama, pimples, awkward love affairs and jealousy pretty much sum up everyone’s high school experience but it always seems better when it is not yours. Watch the crisis unfold in “To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before” to experience a not-so-good start to high school with an ending you don’t want to miss.