Traveling To New Heights On And Off Campus

John+Duron+

Humera Gul

John Duron

Humera Gul, Staff Writer

For Central Connecticut International Studies student John Duron, traveling has grown into an overall encompassing motivation, fulfilling his hunger for cultural immersion.

“Soaring through the skies from one destination to another, the excitement becomes a fruitful sound to my purpose in life,” Duron said.

Duron travels to better himself, as well as to observe and to gain experience.

“[I travel to extend a] hand to those who need it [and to learn] a new traditional practice unique from my own,” Duron stated.

Duron works with the CCSU Transfer and Academic Articulation Department. There, he’s able to apply his own experiences as a transfer student and to help transfer students with the concerns and frustrations they may undergo throughout their academic transition as he did.

“Without the right tools or proper mentorship, I was forced to self-discover and create a transition on my own,” Duron said. “Being part of the OTAA allows me to reflect on my experiences as a transfer student and provide the transfer community at CCSU with the right tools to create a seamless and easy transition.”

Moreover, Duron hopes to go beyond achievement and leave behind a well-founded resource to the transfer population at CCSU.

“Demand for adequate funding and staffing for a critical and immensely resourceful office [is important]. Pushing for developing a platform for all students when redefining university politics and combating cultural oppressions on campus [is also important],” Duron said.

He is trying to magnify students’ voices to bring change and implementations of fair and effective solutions.

Duron was born and raised in Danbury, Connecticut with two older siblings. Growing up, he was a curious child and wanted to do everything.

“I found myself dressing up and role-playing roles of a doctor, a police officer and as Batman fighting crimes the monster under my bed would commit,” he recalled.

He is thankful for his curiosities as a child because he realizes the clear determination of helping others.

“I knew I was a helper. I wanted to help people no matter what shoes I would fill when I was an adult,” he said.

Now as a graduate student, Duron believes that CCSU is an exceptional state institution. He thinks the family-welcoming atmosphere offers a safe and fruitful institution fostering successful students.

“The campus, administrators, faculty and staff work hard to ensure the success of students and continue to work together in developing the leaders of tomorrow,” Duron said.