Bringing Families Together

Gabriel Anton, Staff Writer

With Homecoming taking place at Central Connecticut this weekend, many students, friends and family have surely experienced a communal celebration of relaxation, togetherness and entertainment. With many events taking place on Saturday, Oct. 20, there were many opportunities to soothe the stress and worries of the week and enjoy a fun and exciting time on campus.

It was also a time for families to spend quality time together doing things that sponsor their inclusive appreciation, which also happens to be the purpose of one of the weekend’s wildly popular and important events: the Homecoming Family Social. The Department of Student Activities and Leadership Development worked together with RECentral to provide a meaningful and well-organized event and their hard work paid off.

Upon approaching the quad near Kaiser Hall, families had their hands full with the plethora of activities. If one wanted a memento of the event, the Inter-Residence Council moderated family pictures, where each family would take a picture together and choose from a variety of creative family day frames. There were many delicacies to choose from, such as snow cones, cotton candy and popcorn. Adding to the activities were some enjoyable yard games for all ages such as corn hole, mini golf, a corn maze and the popular bouncy house.

“I feel like there was a much bigger turnout this year. I worked [the event last year], and it seems much more successful this year, everybody seemed to have a good time so we’re happy with the turnout,” RECentral graduate assistant James McMaster said. “It seemed like it was more organized, and that people were more energized this year.”

This was present as each activity was surrounded by families that enjoyed themselves. Compared to other homecoming events, the Family Social seemed to be tailored more to social bonding and inclusion than the others. That theme was prevalent in every activity and every booth.

Brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles and cousins were brought together to this public celebration of family. This allowed each participant to enjoy being surrounded by the ones they held most dearly while being given an occasion that sponsored their togetherness. Every activity was customized in a family setting, appealing to all ages and promoting togetherness. It felt like a warranted addition to the homecoming roster and it seems like it would become one of the most popular events in the coming years.

“It’s celebrating homecoming and it’s also incorporating families that don’t see their kids that live on campus to come and visit and it’s a good way to get the family more involved on campus,” IRC president Morgan McGinnis said, who was in charge, amongst others, of regulating the family picture booth.

As the event came to a close, families were filling the quad with laughter and chatter. The cold and windy Saturday afternoon didn’t stop the crowd from coming. Despite it being labeled a family social, this event attracted many others who wanted to enjoy a fun time on campus.

People came with friends to participate in activities, lauding the inclusion of new activities such as mini golf and respecting the fact that many families were enjoying their time with their children who lived on campus that they haven’t seen in a while. There were opportunities for everyone to come and celebrate their relationships in a fun environment.

Now that Homecoming Weekend has come to a close, mothers, fathers and close relatives will say goodbye to their kids again and bid them good luck for the rest of the semester. Given the growing popularity and the success of this year’s event, next year’s Homecoming Family Social will be something to look forward to.