Men’s Soccer Gets First Win

Daniel Flores, Staff Writer

Over the weekend, Central Connecticut’s men’s soccer team gave their all to achieve their first win of the season in their second game when they traveled to Robert Morris. The Blue Devils had been fighting hard in their fixtures and despite being close on several occasions, have been unlucky to secure the winning goal.

However, this was finally accomplished due to a strong display from the entire squad. The team’s overall record improves to 1-11-1 and their Northeast Conference record to 1-5.

Central did everything they could in a tough match, doing well to hold a solid line on defense and to make the most of their attacking opportunities, eventually securing their first win of the season by a score of 1-0 against the Colonials.

The match was a mix of play, resulting in a deadlock until the last 10 minutes. It was in these last 10 minutes where the Blue Devils scored the match winner, when freshman Larson Richards took the ball down the right flank of the pitch and delivered a cross to the far post where Louis Beddouri headed the ball into the right side of the net.

With the goal, Beddouri leads the team with six goals for the season while Richards registered his first assist of the season.

For the remainder of the match, the Blue Devils defense held up strong against a heavy attack from the Colonials. Central only notched half the amount the shots of RMU, 9-18, but made the most of their chances.

Goalkeeper, Carson D’Ambrosia, made crucial last-minute saves to maintain the lead and win the team’s first match of the season. He ended the game with a total of nine saves, keeping the team alive and registering his first shutout of the season.

Their win was a bounce back from their first game of the weekend, where Central was defeated 4-2 by Saint Francis (PA).

The teams had an exciting first half, with a total of five goals before minute 45 of the game. To open the scoring, Mario Mastrangelo of SFU scored two goals within twenty minutes to pull ahead.

Then, a couple of minutes after the second goal, they scored again off a header by Gabriel Castro from a corner kick.

The Blue Devils refused to stand down and started bringing the game to SFU. Senior, Sebastian Calderon, would intercept a turnover and went through on a breakaway to score his first goal of the season and Central’s first goal of the match.

Then, several minutes later, Beddouri stole the ball and shot from a close angle on goal to help take the match back for Central.

The two teams were then locked in a mixture of play, with Central trying to find the third goal to equalize. Unfortunately, the Red Flash would extend their lead with another goal before the end of the match when Leonardo Ribeiro would find the back of the net.

The Blue Devils took 10 shots while SFU marked 16 of their own. D’Ambrosio registered three saves to keep the team in the match.

The Blue Devils battle for another win when they host Sacred Heart on Friday, Oct. 26, at 7 p.m. in their penultimate regular season contest.