Swimming And Diving Beats SCSU, Falls To UConn

Patrick Gustavson, Sports Editor

For the second straight week, Central Connecticut’s swimming and diving team split a tri-meet, defeating Southern Connecticut but falling to UConn.

The Huskies were the dominant team of the meet, taking first place in 17 of the 24 events, soundly defeating the Blue Devils by a score of 164-82 while beating the Owls 175-102.

Despite the Husky domination, Central still managed to win three events on the day. A team consisting of freshmen Katie Czulewicz and Jeanette King, senior Kaitlyn Troy and junior Valentina Gomez won the 400-yard freestyle relay.

King won the 100-yard backstroke as an individual, finishing just under the one-minute mark, the only in the event to do so. This comes as a breakthrough for King, who finished second in three individual events in her collegiate debut last weekend. She also placed fifth in the 100-yard freestyle.

Rounding out the trio of Blue Devil winners was senior Aidan Devers, who won the 400-yard individual medley. She also finished second in the 200-yard backstroke and finished eighth in the 200-yard freestyle. This was a strong start to the season for Devers, who did not compete in last weekend’s meet.

Czulewicz was also making her season (and career) debut for the Blue Devils, placing fourth in the same 200-yard freestyle as Devers. She also competed on the team that placed fifth in the 200-yard medley relay.

Gomez, who won three events in the season-opener finished third in the 200-yard butterfly and also competed in the 200-yard medley relay, a part of the Blue Devil squad that finished fourth for the event.

Freshman Alex Lindgren, who also won an event last weekend, finished third in the 200-yard breaststroke in addition to a fifth-place finish in the 100-yard breaststroke.

The Blue Devils will be back in action on Saturday, Oct. 27, when they travel to New Hampshire to take on the Wildcats. The meet will be their last before they begin competition against fellow Northeast Conference schools when they take on Bryant and Wagner on Nov. 2.