On The Issues: Candidates Face Off At CCSU

Jahana+Hayes+and+Manny+Santos+debated+last+week+at+CCSU.+

Sarah Willson

Jahana Hayes and Manny Santos debated last week at CCSU.

Sarah Willson, Managing Editor

Little could be agreed upon for the candidates of Connecticut’s Fifth Congressional District at a debate last week that packed over 200 people in Central Connecticut’s Alumni Hall.

Hot-button issues such as student debt, gun control, the opioid crisis and more were addressed to Democratic candidate Jahana Hayes and Republican Manny Santos.

Stan Simpson, host of Fox 61’s “The Stan Simpson Show” and Vance Chair at CCSU and Fox 61 reporter Jenn Bernstein moderated the debate. Questions addressed to the candidates included those from students and one professor.

Throughout it all, notable cheers and boos could be heard from audience members.

Gun Control:

The issue of gun control and school shootings was the first of many for Hayes and Santos. The question begged as to how school safety would be improved after the deadly Newtown Elementary School shooting that claimed the lives of 20 children in 2012.

“I’m very supportive of a lot of the proposed enhancements on security [for schools],” Santos said. “I want to make sure that any legislation that goes to ensuring the security of our students in our most vulnerable schools also has a very focused component to address the mental illness that comes with this in today’s society.”

“Several things I’d like to do, [one of which includes] expanding universal background checks,” Hayes said. “I am not trying to take away anyone’s guns, I am not trying to control anyone’s guns. I respect the Constitution and the Second Amendment.”

Hayes also said that her husband, who is a police officer, has to pass checks and practice shooting every year in order to be a responsible gun owner. She said she wants every gun owner to have to do the same.

Student Loans and College Debt:

Audible gasps and groans could be heard from the crowd when Santos said students loans are “Frankly, something a lot of students bring upon themselves.”

“It’s a serious issue, but it’s an issue we have to take responsibility for,” Santos continued. “This isn’t something someone else can bail you out of.”

Santos, however, did advocate that the rising cost of tuition is becoming a larger problem.

Hayes, who said she graduated with more than $100,000 in student debt, advocated that she understands the burden associated with loans.

“I think one of the first things to do is stop predatory lenders from targeting students,” Hayes said. “[We need to] invest in grant programs and opportunities for young people to access money that will not be required as payback.”

Environmental Issues:

“We have to make sure every aspect, every regulation, every law that gets passed, we have to make sure [we know the impact] on our economy,” Santos said. “Nobody wants dirty water, dirty soil or dirty air, but we also have to make sure that the businesses that have to operate in our society have the flexibility to be able to do what needs to be done in order for them to stay in operation.”

Hayes fired back, arguing that she would not be willing to trade the environment for the economy.

“This idea that we have to ignore what manufacturers and businesses are doing to make money and ignore what happens to the [environment] is something I will never sign onto,” Hayes said. “We have to have mandates and measures so that the agency that is protecting the environment is intact.”

Opioid Crisis: 

With New Britain Emergency Medical Services averaging five overdose deaths a month, the opioid crisis continues to grip not only the nation but the state of Connecticut as well.

“We have to make sure that our medical community is involved in reaching solutions to this problem,” Santos said, adding that 115 deaths a day are due to overdoses.

Hayes, who said she has dealt with addiction in her family for decades, agreed that something must be done.

“We have to address this as the disease that it is and begin with education,” Hayes said. “Also [we have to demand] that our prescription drug companies are not overmedicating or putting out pills or drugs that are addictive.”

Gay Marriage:

One of the last and perhaps most disagreed upon questions dealt with gay marriage, which has been legalized in all 50 states as of 2015.

“Yes, I support gay marriage. I will make sure they have the same Constitutional Rights as anyone else,” Hayes said.

“I personally am not in favor of gay marriage,” Santos said. “I think marriage is more of a belief between a man and a woman.”

Though not a supporter of gay marriage, Santos said that does not mean he is not in support of civil unions, adding that he would be supportive of anti-LGBTQ discrimination.