Ruddy Represents Her Country In UEFA U19 Championship

Julia Jade Moran

Ruddy scored two goals in the three games in Lithuania.

Patrick Gustavson, Sports Editor

Sunday’s contest for Central Connecticut’s women’s soccer team marked the return of freshman midfielder Tiegan Ruddy, who missed three games while playing with the under-19 Irish National Team in the Union of European Football Associations (UEFA) Championship qualifying.

Ruddy played a crucial role in Ireland topping the stage, scoring two goals in three games as they defeated Lithuania, Ukraine and Faroe Islands.

But Ruddy said it was her time playing at CCSU that helped improve her game at home.

“With the Irish team, especially at the under-19 level, it’s not as physical,” she said. “When I went back, I was a lot stronger. I was winning a lot in the air. Here, I’m not one of the strongest on the team. I think the physicality and the pace of the game [are] much higher here.”

CCSU head coach, Mick D’Arcy, who is from Ireland himself, spoke highly of Ruddy and her experience.

“Any time you get a chance to represent your country in anything is an honor,” D’Arcy said. “For Tiegan, she’s done this before. She takes great pride in representing Ireland. What a great experience for an 18-year-old to go to Lithuania and play some of these countries.”

Ruddy came to CCSU to improve her future both on and off the pitch.

“I wanted a change. I’ve been playing in Ireland for a few years now. I wanted to keep my football career going and I’ve been training every day,” Ruddy said.

“And going to school and getting an education, My parents especially wanted me to get an education. If I had gone somewhere else in Europe, I wouldn’t have gotten an education.”

The connection to D’Arcy was what brought Ruddy to CCSU in the first place and said that having an Irish coach made the transition easier for her.

“Well, Mick is Irish, so he kind of knew of me. He knows a lot of Irish players. We got in contact with Mick. It all kind of happened really fast,” she said.

“It made the transition a lot easier,” she continued. “It feels like he understands me and understands when I get homesick.”

Ruddy said the most difficult aspect of the transition was missing her family and friends back in Ireland but says this experience “is going to benefit [her] in the future.”

But Ruddy was not alone in her transition, as rookie Roma McLaughlin also made the transition from Ireland. Teammate Carla Jackson made a similar transition a few years ago when she came to Central from Scotland.

“Me and Roma are best friends,” Ruddy said. “Moving across the water with your best friend is a big help. We spend a lot of time together.”

“And Carla has been great. I live with Carla. She’s been so helpful in the transition. We have good fun together,” Ruddy said of Jackson.

The draw for the groups of the Elite Round of the UEFA U19 Championship will take place next month, though the teams will not be back in action until next Spring. Eight teams will advance to the finals, a feat Ruddy believes her country can achieve.

“We are a confident bunch and we believe in each other,” she stated. “I think we can get all the way to the finals. It depends what group we got put in, but I’ll take anyone.”

In the meantime, Ruddy will continue to help the Blue Devils in their quest to win the Northeast Conference, as they are off to a 5-0 start with just two matches remaining.