Students Explore CCSU Majors And Minors At Fair

Sophia Contreras, Staff Writer

Many undergraduate students are not entirely sure what they want to study, but the Explore Central Center gives students the opportunity to explore their options through the Majors and Minors Fair.

Eighty percent of students in the United States change their major at least once throughout their college career, according to the National Center for Education Statistics.

Paul Rositto, the director of Explore Central, is trying to reduce that statistic by providing students with information about the academic programs on campus.

“We have over 400 central explore students that [have not declared a major] and [they] really need to decide a major before they meet the 30 to 40 credit mark. We thought this was a great opportunity to get all the majors and minors in one room and allow students to make the best decision for themselves,” Rositto said.

The Explore Central mission is “to assist students in assessing their strengths, interests and skills, exploring potential academic majors, coordinating an academic plan of study, relaying academic requirements and declaring an academic major by 30 to 45 credits,” according to their website.

The fair was held in Alumni Hall in the Student Center from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Thursday, Sept. 27.

Each academic department had a representative giving information about the program, along with some freebies and handouts about the departments.

Stephanie Barbagallo, a sophomore who attended the event to learn about the nursing department, hoping to receive some personal advice about how to get into the nursing program.

“I want to apply to the nursing program and the nursing program advisor told me everything I needed to know that I wasn’t able to get online, and it was really nice to have the opportunity to speak to someone face-to-face,” Barbagallo said.

Sophomore student Kyle Brenner has already declared a major but came to the event looking for the possibility of double majoring.

“I was actually thinking about double majoring in accounting, and coming here allowed me to get advice from someone in the department and think about the course load,” Brenner said.

The office of Central Explore and Career Services was also promoting a “Suit Up” event partnership with JCPenney that took place on Sunday, Sept. 30. The purpose of this event was to give students the ability to find professional attire for their job or internship at a special discounted price, as well as giving the opportunity for a free mini-makeover by Sephora and a discounted portfolio photo shoot.

Central Explore and Career Services will be hosting a career and internship fair on Oct. 9 in Alumni Hall.