Men’s Soccer Halted By Quinnipiac

Daniel Flores, Staff Writer

Still on the journey to record its first win of the season, Central Connecticut’s men’s soccer team fell to Hamden-side Quinnipiac University 2-1, their third of this scoreline so far. Their overall record now sits at 0-6.

After an opening goal from the Bobcats in the 13th minute from a chip shot over the keeper, the Blue Devils evened the score just before halftime. Senior Louis Beddouri netted the equalizer, his third goal of the year, all coming in two straight games. This would mark Central’s fifth goal of the season.

Unfortunately, the Blue Devils lost a loose ball and conceded the match winner to QU in the 76th minute when Matthew Taylor took the ball unassisted and put it past goalkeeper Carson D’Ambrosio, Taylor’s second goal of the season.

The attack was not too separated between the teams, with Central recording 10 shots against QU’s 13. Beddouri and freshman Panos Ravanis registered the only shots on goal, with two apiece.

In the net, the senior D’Ambrosio tallied five saves out of a total seven shots against him. This would give him a total of 27 saves for the season while allowing 14 goals. The team now hold a goal per game average of 2.33.

The Blue Devils are struggling to score goals while maintaining leads and shutting out their opponents, something they surely hope to improve on when it comes time for the Northeast Conference competition next week.

The team is now on a six-game losing streak and hope to snap it during their last non-conference fixture against the local rival Hartford Hawks on Tuesday, Sept. 25 in yet another away game.

They will then start NEC play three days after the match when they travel to Saint Francis (BKN) on Saturday, leaving them with a short time to prepare for the start of the conference contest.