Getting To Know The Blue Devils: Roma McLaughlin

Julia Jade Moran

McLaughlin has recorded two assists in her first year as a Blue Devil.

Patrick Gustavson, Sports Editor

When Roma McLaughlin came to New Britain to play on Central Connecticut’s women’s soccer team, it would be the first time she would be living in the United States.

Originally from Donegal, Ireland, McLaughlin spent a year of collegiate soccer at Moville Community College in her home country.

McLaughlin was first connected to CCSU when one of her coaches was familiar with women’s soccer coach Mick D’Arcy, who is also from Ireland, and she said “it was an opportunity (she) had to take” in order for her game to improve.

McLaughlin said some of the biggest differences between Ireland and America have an effect on the soccer field.

“It’s so different. The weather is a lot different than the Irish weather, especially the heat we played in today. The football is a lot different as well. It’s a lot faster and you have to be more athletic. So, hopefully, it will help me improve,” she said.

But McLaughlin has not been alone in her transition to the states, with freshman Tiegan Ruddy also hailing from Ireland.

Junior forward Carla Jackson is also from the other side of the Atlantic, coming from Glasgow, Scotland. McLaughlin says Jackson has been of big help during the transition.

“With Carla being here the past two years before us, coming over and meeting her has been really helpful because she knows what we’re used to at home and the way we are,” she said.

Though McLaughlin has yet to score a goal on the season, she has recorded two assists. But her impact on the Blue Devils goes beyond results.

D’Arcy believes McLaughlin’s mere presence is enough to positively impact the team and commented on that following the teams win against Yale after McLaughlin had missed the previous two contests.

“When we didn’t have her over the weekend, there was a lack of emotion on the team. Roma settles us down. She’s got a good head on her shoulders and is very composed. She calms the game down for us,” D’Arcy said.

“I think it came naturally,” McLaughlin said of her ability to keep her composure.

“I’ve played since I was about five or six and it’s always something I’ve had. It’s important to settle a game. In a fast game, there are moments where you need to slow it down and take hold of it.”

McLaughlin has still shown an aggressive playing style, but her coach believes it is a good thing to find the balance between attacking and composed.

“I think you can have composure and be an attacking-minded player at the same time,” D’Arcy said.

“You don’t have to go forward on every play. I think she picks and chooses her moments. But that’s a smart way because you don’t want to be going 100 miles an hour the whole game. Her decision making is really good.”

McLaughlin will surely be a key part of the Blue Devils’ quest to win the Northeast Conference and was straightforward with her hopes for the team.

“We want to win it. With the season we’ve had, I think we can win it.”