A Disney Princess Walks Among Us

Shaina Blakesley, Arts and Entertainment Editor

P.T. Barnum once said: “The noblest art is that of making others happy” and by golly Central Connecticut State University has the perfect candidate the greatest showman envisioned.

Sara Courtemanche grew up within the diverse neighborhood of Hamden, Connecticut, where she was not sheltered from the world and exposed to different ethnicities, cultural backgrounds and religions.

“I’ve always appreciated the beauty in our differences, and I believe because I was taught at such a young age that diversity is normal, I’ve always been amazed at the ignorance a lot of people carry,” Courtemanche said.

She is currently a junior here studying Psychological Science and minoring in Media Studies. Her time at Central has taught her that the cheesy mantra “a smile is worth a thousand words” is, in fact, the secret meaning of life. Taking that risk has added to her connections on campus.

“Being a Blue Devil means being a kind, accepting and open-minded person. Someone who doesn’t judge others, and who opens their arms and accepts everyone despite race, religion, and sexual orientation,” Courtemanche stated.

Not only does she live with open arms for those of different cultural and religious backgrounds, but Courtemanche is also an active ally within the LGBTQ plus community. She has been dramatically impacted by members of this marginalized society and hopes to continue to see love of all kinds flourish because she believes as “a social species, our sexuality is a pretty important aspect of our lives.”

According to the Myers-Briggs personality type indicator, Courtemanche has been distinguished as an INFJ (Introversion, Intuition, Feeling, Judgement) individual. Only one percent of the entire population is classified as advocates, as compared to the other 16 types. Living every day aiming to brighten the darkest corners like fellow advocates Nelson Mandela, Oprah Winfrey, Plato, “To Kill A Mockingbird” by Harper Lee’s Atticus Finch — Courtemanche’s favorite role model.

According to Courtemanche, she defines this as her purpose and gift in life and believes “someone who represents our school in a positive light is a true Blue Devil.”

Being the epitome of a Blue Devil is not the only mask Courtemanche wears to brighten up people’s days. She also spends copious amounts of time as a Disney princess inspiring children that dreams do come true.

“Honestly being a princess is so much greater than dressing up and looking pretty. Someone could be having the worst day of their life, and your interaction with them could completely flip their mood,” Courtemanche said.

Taking on the spunky personality of “Frozen’s” Princess Anna of Arendelle and strong D.C. Comics hero, Supergirl to talk to children at parties, events and mall appearances.

It all started when she applied to be a face painter for the company, but was immediately promoted to be part of the cast. There is a running joke that she still has yet to be trained as a face painter.

“Even if it’s for an hour, you’re making an impact. It’s truly magical how amazed the kids are and how much they really look up to these characters. They all want to be your best friend, and being their best friend for the short amount of time you’re with them will stay with them for a long time,” Courtemanche said about the rewarding experience being a Princess brings to her.

Courtemanche’s favorite movie “Dead Poets Society” starring Robin Williams lent itself to her life motto, “carpe diem.” This Latin aphorism means “seize the day,” and is used to remember to live today and not always furrow your brow over the uncertainties of tomorrow.

“I always try and live in the moment, and try and remember that every single moment in our lives is special and unique. Once a moment goes [by], you’ll never get it back, so it’s always great to be as present as possible. That’s something I really struggle with sometimes because of my mental health, which I’ve come a long way with in the past year,” Courtemanche concluded.