Men’s Soccer Downed By UMass

Patrick Gustavson, Sports Editor

Central Connecticut’s men’s soccer team’s quest for its first win of the season was halted on Saturday when they fell to Massachusetts 5-2.

It was all Minutemen from the get-go, as they scored two goals in the first half. In minute 38, UMass had a corner kick where Central committed a foul in the box, leading to a Jack Fulton penalty kick that he put past graduate goalkeeper Carson D’Ambrosio to take the lead.

But the Minutemen were not done in the first half when Yosuke Hanya found DeAndrae Brown for the goal, giving UMass a 2-0 advantage at the break.

The Blue Devils responded early in the second half when senior midfielder Louis Beddouri netted his first goal of the season when Minutemen goalie Trey Miller could not get a handle on the shot.

But just less than a minute later, Fulton was once again fouled in the box and put a penalty kick past D’Ambrosio, extending the UMass lead to 3-1.

And within just a moment of that goal, Davis Smith put one through the right side of the net to further extend the Minutemen lead.

The scoring then quieted until the 80th minute when Jared McCleary scored his first career goal on an assist from Brown.

The Blue Devils did manage another goal in the closing minutes when Beddouri scored again on a third penalty kick goal of the game.

While Central did manage to score a game-high two goals, they had plenty of other opportunities, with a whopping 17 shots compared to UMass’s 13, with eight of them coming on goal.

Beddouri took eight shots with four of them coming on goal. Freshman Noah Silverman also had two looks at the goal, while redshirt freshman Panos Ravanis took three shots, with none of them coming on goal.

Though he gave up five goals, D’Ambrosio recorded four saves on the contest.

The team has now been outscored 12-4 on the still young season, including two shutouts.

The Blue Devils now fall to 0-5-0 on the season, still looking for their first win. They have two games remaining before they begin their Northeast Conference slate. They will take on Quinnipiac on Sept. 21 before remaining in Connecticut for a trip to Hartford.

They will not return to CCSU Soccer Field until an Oct. 7 meeting with Fairleigh Dickinson, its third game in NEC play.