Football Dominates Home Opener

Julia Jade Moran

Following a 42-point loss to Ball State, the Blue Devils shut out their DII opponent.

Trevi Alickolli, Staff Writer

The Central Connecticut Blue Devil football team had a dominant performance in their home opener against the Lincoln Lions, winning 55-0 in front of over 5,000 faithful fans in attendance, improving their record to 1-1 on the season.

While all three phases of the team contributed to the victory, the offense was perhaps the most impressive, leading the defending Northeast Conference champions to their sixth straight home win.

In their season opener, the offense was close to 300 yards but only managed to put up six points. This week, they produced and scored. They put up 471 yards of offense and 55 points against their Division II opponent.

Central got off to a hot start after they declared to receive the ball on the opening kickoff, and took the ball right down the field for a rushing touchdown. Soon after a quick 3 and out by the Lions, Central was back on the attack as they scored after just 1 play on their second drive of the game on a 58-yard touchdown reception by wide receiver Courtney Rush to give them a 13-0 early lead.

Senior quarterback Jacob Dolegala (7-8, 151 yards and two touchdowns) was quick to credit the offensive line and the run game for the explosive plays the offense had.

“It was great, the guys up front, they played well, anytime you can run the ball it opens up every type of play action pass that we have, it puts defenses in a bind,” Dolegala said.

Overall, the rushing game was unstoppable as they racked up 246 yards on 42 carries (5.9 yards-per-carry) led by junior running back Enyce Walker, who had eight carries, 82 yards and a score.

Senior receivers, Joey Fields Jr. (four receptions, 63 yards, one touchdown) and Rush (one reception, 58 yards, one TD) were on display in the limited action they saw, but in a veteran-heavy offense, there is a young back emerging in the form of sophomore Aaron Dawson.

“We got a pretty veteran offense. We didn’t know he’d be this good, quite honestly,” head coach Pete Rossomando said of Dawson.

Coach continues, “He really surprised us with a great summer camp, played well the first game, well enough to get him some more carries in this game.”

Dawson did not lead the team in carries tonight (six, compared to Walker’s eight) but he did tie fellow back Drew Jean-Guillaume for a game-high two rushing touchdowns.

Dawson’s three touchdowns on the year are good for a team-high after the second game of the season.

After a strong start to his sophomore season, Dawson showed the big guys up front some more love and appreciation.

“They just dominated up front, they work hard in practice and give us the hole. They work hard every day, every day,” Dawson said.

The Blue Devil defense, who held Lincoln to 125 total yards, and special teams were on their game as well, racking up two interceptions and two blocked punts, respectively.

CCSU got back on track this week as they try to repeat as NEC champions, and will look to win again next week, as they host Colombia in their second home game of the season.