Women’s Soccer Shows Strong In Two Wins

Julia Jade Moran

Charlotte Maurer (above) scored two goals in CCSU’s win against Temple.

Patrick Gustavson, Sports Editor

The strong start of Central Connecticut’s women’s soccer team continued this past week when they defeated in-state foe Yale at home before taking down Temple on the road.

The team did something against Yale that they failed to do in their two previous contests: maintain a lead and win.

But it was not all easy for the Blue Devils early. The Bulldogs put pressure on the Blue Devils late in the first half, managing three shots in the final 15 minutes, but were unable to put one past Ashley Cavanaugh.

Head coach Mick D’Arcy attributed the “lull” to changes in personnel and formation, disrupting the team’s rhythm and flow.

But the team responded by coming out strong in the second half when junior Carla Jackson bent a corner kick into the net just 10 minutes into the period.

Just two minutes later, Jackson connected with freshman Tiegan Ruddy, making her collegiate debut, for the second goal of the game.

Despite contributing to both goals, Jackson played just 30 minutes in the match, something that D’Arcy said was by design. Jackson played in only nine game last season due to injury and is slowly being eased back into play.

Despite her strong play, D’Arcy said they are sticking to that plan.

“She didn’t play last year, and it would be crazy to play a player like that for 90 minutes at this stage of the season,” he said.

As for Ruddy, he applauded her aggressiveness.

“I think it was 30 seconds into the game until she got her first shot, and her first goal later on,” D’Arcy said. “It’s a dream debut for her.”

D’Arcy also believed the return of freshman midfielder Roma McLaughlin played a role in the team’s improved play.

“When we didn’t have her over the weekend, there was a lack of emotion on the team,” he said. “Roma settles us down. She’s got a good head on her shoulders and is very composed. She calms the game down for us.”

The Blue Devils then traveled to Temple on Sunday, hoping to top the Owls for the second straight year. Led by senior midfielder Charlotte Maurer, they were able to do so by a score of 3-1.

Maurer started the scoring for the match when she connected on a penalty kick in the 24th minute.

But the Blue Devils were not done in the first half. Freshman forward Abbey Chase scored her first career goal on an assist from Jackson. This marked Jackson’s fourth point of the week.

But the Owls came out strong in the second half, scoring within seven minutes of the period when Emma Wilkins took a baseline pass from Morgan Morocco and put it past Cavanaugh.

Central did not let this kill their momentum, shutting out the Owls the rest of the way, and even extended their lead when Maurer scored off a pass from Danielle Pearse.

Cavanaugh had another strong game, allowing just one goal while recording seven saves.

The Blue Devils now improve to a strong 3-1-1 for the season following the wins, giving them the best non-conference record out of all Northeast Conference schools.

They will look to improve their record with a pair of home games, starting with Rhode Island on Thursday before they welcome Lafayette on Sunday.