Men’s Soccer Relies On Young, Local Players During Rebuild

CCSU Athletics

The Blue Devils will rely on Aidan O’Brien (above), as well as other local freshmen to contribute.

Patrick Gustavson, Sports Editor

In 2017, sophomore phenom Andres Muriel Albino led Central Connecticut’s men’s soccer team in goals- he currently plays for West Virginia.

Freshman defender Filippo Pirola, who scored two goals and started all 17 contests, plays professionally in Italy.

Seniors DeShawn Parker and Ryan Taylor, who accounted for eight goals and seven assists, both graduated.

Nick Velleca, a goaltender who was a part of the program for six years, has also graduated.

This leaves the 2018 squad in a position where they must rely on young, local talent, in addition to their existing veterans.

Head coach, Shaun Green, is entering his 34th season on the job. Green has rebranded his team as ‘Team Connecticut,’ with 18 of 24 players on the roster coming from the state.

Of the nine true freshmen, eight of them are from Connecticut. Green has said that midfielders Aidan O’Brien, Larson Richards and Noah Silverman are likely to have the most significant role.

“We want to compete for a championship with local players,” Green said.

“Tonight, there were Connecticut parents in the stands, Connecticut fans in the stands. It was a great atmosphere and in turn that is because our roster made up of homegrown players and we’re proud of that,” Green added following their first contest of the season.

When asked who would fill the void in scoring, Green listed redshirt freshman forward Panos Ravanis, as well as O’Brien and Silverman. In addition, the team will have co-captain Louis Beddouri, whose three goals in 2017 are the most out of any returning player.

Sophomore midfielder Sean Gannon and senior midfielder Sebastian Calderon also scored two goals apiece last season.

Although in a rebuild, the team is not without its fair share of veterans. In addition to Beddouri, they retain graduate-student goalkeeper Carson D’Ambrosio, who started a majority of the games in the net for the team in 2017.

Their back four on defense brings back seniors Quentin Lux and Danny Lobello as well as graduate-student James Thompkins.

Green stressed the importance of veteran leadership on a rebuilding team.

“You need that maturity, you need that guidance,” Green said. “You need guys who have been there who can have a calm head in the locker room and tell the young players ‘this is going to hurt a little bit. You’re going to have to work for this. You’re on the right track. You wouldn’t be here playing Division I if you weren’t good enough.’”

In the Northeast Conference preseason coaches’ poll, the Blue Devils were picked to finish fifth out of nine teams. Green feels that it is an appropriate ranking for his rebuilding squad, but his team will be ready to compete come time for conference games.

“I think we need to believe in a system of play that’s good for us. We have to play with a pride that we are representing Connecticut,” Green said. “I think by the time we get there, we’ll understand what our strengths and weaknesses are.”

Green says the ultimate goal is for the team to reach the conference tournament, a feat they were unable to reach in 2017.

“I want us to make the playoffs, that’s number one. You can talk about championships and playing in the NCAAs, you’ve got to make the playoffs first.”