Willard-DiLoreto Construction On Track

Kelly Langevin and Sarah Willson

Central Connecticut’s big construction project is right on track for its completion in January. The Willard-DiLoreto renovation and expansion will be ready for use in January, rewarding students with two new academic buildings.

The $62 million project is being funded by bonds issued by the state. It will feature 21 departments including English, modern language and veteran affairs, as well as a Financial Aid office.

According to James Grupp, director of engineering at CCSU, the buildings will be done and ready for doors to open January of 2019.

“The two new academic buildings that are being built on campus are going to be great additions for CCSU. I walk past there every day and I love to see the progress they have made. I’m really excited for them to be done with the new buildings and start going to classes in them,” sophomore Tyler Riccitelli said.

At this point, construction is on track and a tremendous amount of work has been accomplished.

“For the fall, students will see the exterior of the building almost done, there will be pavement that’s done outside, although the fence will still be up. There’s still a few window walls that need to be installed. What [students] won’t see is what’s going on inside the building,” Grupp stated.

Junior Billy Stango enjoyed watching the construction over the months and is excited to see it continue.

“Personally, being in civil engineering, I enjoyed seeing earth work, concrete and steel construction. I am also very impressed with how fast the building is going to be finished. Hopefully it is as impressive on the inside as it is on the outside,” he said.

Getting the two buildings renovated has sophomore Alexia Burns excited.

“I lived on the second floor of James Hall and my room faced the entrance, which was in the direction of the construction. Every morning I would hear the loud bangs of the construction and it would definitely wake me up. I’m excited for Central that the construction is finally coming to an end. I’m excited to see the end result,” Burns stated.

Besides the two-building project, Central is experiencing other transformations as well.

“The Rec Center is in progress, which is due to be done next summer. There’s Barnard Hall which is in the design phase. There’s a lot of projects that are in the design phase that we’re working on,” Grupp said.

“I’m really excited to use the new facilities at the new Rec Center,” Riccitelli said. “I think it will be a great improvement to the campus and encourage me to stay active.”

Barnard Hall, which houses the School of Education and Professional Studies will undergo construction after the completion of the Willard-DiLoreto building.

All of the projects are meant to bring students and departments together, according to CCSU President Dr. Zulma Toro.

“I expect Willard-DiLoreto will become the heart of our student services. I refer to it as the Student Success Center because just about every support students need to succeed academically will be located within those buildings,” Dr. Toro stated.

Central will be seeing big changes around campus. Students attending the university this fall will be here to see the finished product.