Welcome Freshmen: First Semester Guide

Natalie Dest, Arts and Entertainment Editor

Freshman year of college can be one of the most anticipated yet terrifying transitions in a young adult’s lifetime.

Only a few short months ago, you were standing on stage with your fellow high school classmates accepting your diplomas. Then, in the blink of an eye, you are waving goodbye to your parents as they drop you off at your new home.

For the next four years, your college campus is where you will grow, make new friends and begin the new chapter of your life. Although this may bring excitement, nerves are sure to follow.

If you are slightly worried or even freaking out a bit about your new journey, that is completely normal. Even if it may not seem like it, every other freshman is nervous with you.

So, for the Class of 2022 and Central Connecticut’s brand new Blue Devils, below is a compiled list of some tips and tricks to help you have the most successful first semester you can.

Tip #1: Befriend your roommates and others within your hall.

These are the people you are going to be surrounded by for the next year. It is a good idea to establish a relationship and get to know other students, with hopes of making your living situation a more comfortable and enjoyable environment while on campus.

Tip #2: Leave your dorm room.

Although it is tempting to relax and watch Netflix within the cozy walls of your dorm, mingling with hall mates, attending on-campus programs or just taking a walk around campus can be really beneficial. This will help broaden your horizons and connections across campus, ultimately giving you a better college experience.

Tip #3: Explore the food options on and off-campus.

Sometimes the dining hall does not always do the trick. Stepping off of campus and finding surrounding restaurants and fast food can be very helpful, especially when the dining halls are closed.

Tip #4: Find your study spot.

Exploring quiet or hidden places around campus can help greatly when trying to study for class. The right spot can be very useful when you have midterms or finals, or even if you are trying to finish up some homework.

Tip #5: Go to class.

This seems like an obvious step. However, sometimes we all feel the urge to sleep in or skip class for a day or two. It is important to remember that you are paying for college. Your money is going towards your education and the classes you take here at CCSU. Although we all may experience these types of days, remember the reason why you are here: to earn your degree.

Tip #6: Get to know your professors.

This is a crucial and highly beneficial step. Whether it is in a class you are struggling to understand or one that comes easily, it is always a smart idea to learn your professor’s office hours. Going to your professor for extra help with any questions you might have will make all the difference. Putting a face to the name is also important, especially when attending a lecture class with many students.

Tip #7: Don’t be scared to ask an upperclassman.

They have all been in your shoes before. Do not be afraid to ask them for help when you need it. Those who have attended Central since they were freshman are bound to know the campus inside and out. You never know if they might have an answer to one of your questions, so why not ask?

Tip #8: Get involved.

Joining a club or an organization on campus will help you in the long run. Not only does it look good on a job application, but it is a good way to test your skills, meet new people and to get to know the campus a bit better.

Tip #9: Don’t party too hard; know your limits.

It is often easy to go crazy your first year of college. New friends, new atmosphere and new opportunities are surrounding you. But once again, remember why you are here: for your education. It is okay to party and hang with your friends on the weekends, as long as you set boundaries by leaving time for yourself, and enough time for your academics.

Tip #10: Don’t be nervous.

Every other freshman is in the same boat as you are. Everything is brand new, and you are slowly but surely learning the ropes around your new “home.” It is okay to feel a little lost, but give it time. Soon you will be an expert around campus and will eventually get the hang of the college scene.