Softball Ends Three-Game Series With a Win

Credit: Steve McLaughlin Photography, CCSU Athletics

Egypt Bell-Clayton, Staff Writer

Central Connecticut State University’s softball team came out on top after a three-game series against Merrimack College on Sunday, Mar. 26, and Monday, Mar. 27.

In game one, the Blue Devils took the victory with a close score of 3-2. CCSU got on the board in the top of the second inning, but Merrimack was not far behind, bringing the score to a tie in the bottom of the inning. Junior Paige Stringer hit a home run in the top of the third, regaining the lead for the Blue Devils. Stringer had another hit in the top of the fifth, sending her to second base. With Stringer in scoring position, senior Kim Howard was able to reel her home, bringing the score to 3-1.

The Warriors had the opportunity to tie the score toward the end of the game, but junior Jazmin Lasane caught the Warriors’ fly ball to right field, ending the inning and securing the Blue Devils’ win.

Game 2 favored the Warriors, as they defeated the Blue Devils 2-0. Both teams were scoreless through the first four innings. After a tough back-and-forth battle, the Warriors got on the board in the bottom of the fifth, scoring the only two runs of the game. This was CCSU’s first loss in conference play this season.

CCSU regained a win in game three. The Warriors struck first in the bottom of the opening inning, but the Blue Devils continued to fight for the lead and scored six runs in the top of the second.

The Blue Devils continued to put pressure on Merrimack as they scored six more runs before the end of the game. The Warriors put up a strong fight, adding three more runs, but lost the battle in the end with a final score of 12-4.

Senior Kim Howard, sophomore Ava Cino, freshman Ashlyn Desaulniers, and Stringer combined for 11 RBIs in the game, with Howard and Cino hitting homers. Senior Kaylee Whittaker collected her tenth win of the season as the Blue Devils’ pitcher.

The Blue Devils are officially halfway through their season with an 11-8 overall record. They are in first place in the Northeast Conference with a 5-1 record in conference play.

After a streak of away games, CCSU is back in action at home as they face the Quinnipiac Bobcats on Thursday, March 30, and then head back on the road for another 3-game series at Long Island University on Saturday, April 1, and Sunday, April 2.