Baseball Wins Series Over LIU

Ryan Jones, Editor-in-Chief

Central Connecticut Baseball continued its streak of series wins last weekend, taking two of its three games at Long Island University.

Andrew Braun kept his perfect record rolling in game one. The senior southpaw allowed two runs in his 6.2 innings of work and once again did not walk a LIU batter. He’s only walked three batters all year.

Noah Martinez started the scoring in the top of the third with a home run to right center, putting two runs on the board for CCSU. The redshirt freshman is second on the team in RBIs this year with 19 and is tied for second in hits with 24.

CCSU was set up perfectly to do more damage in the top of the seventh. The Blue Devils loaded up the bases with two outs, forcing LIU to send in a new pitcher. He walked the first batter he faced, scoring a run for CCSU, but drew an out from the ensuing batter.

The bullpen again delivered for CCSU, striking out four and only allowing one hit over 2.1 innings of work.

The bats were flying off the rack early in game two of the series Saturday.

The Blue Devils took advantage of some erratic fielding to get on the board in the first. Two straight fielding errors from LIU led to a run scored and more runners getting in scoring position. Dave Matthews hit a sac-fly to bring in another run before the inning was over.

Another throwing error scored a runner in the second. And then another runner scored on a wild throw in the seventh. The Sharks committed five fielding errors on the day. The Blue Devils used 10 hits and seven walks along with those errors to finish the game 10-1.

Brandon Fox allowed only one run across 31 batters face to improve his record to 4-2 on the year.

The Sharks made up for their egregious errors in game two with some tricky work on the baseline in the final game. LIU drew three straight walks against CCSU’s Anthony Mozzicato that put one run on the board. Tim Buchek came in and allowed one more run before finishing off the inning.

With the game tied at four in the bottom of the ninth, the Blue Devils intentionally loaded the bases. Unfortunately, the ensuing LIU batter drew a walk, too, giving one of the most boring endings possible in baseball: a walk-off walk.

CCSU will be back in action this weekend as they take on the NEC first seed, Bryant.