World Mental Health Day

World Mental Health Day

Managing mental health properly is crucial to leaving a long, sustainable life.

Isabella Chan, News Editor

Mental health is said to be vital in a person’s wellbeing as it will influence their emotional, psychological and social state-of-mind, as stated by the National Institute of Mental Health. As more and more people learn of their personal mental illnesses, it has become important to ensure them that they are not alone, specifically by celebrating World Mental Health Day.

World Federation of Mental Health President Dr. Alberto Trimboli shares that this year’s theme for World Mental Health Day will be suicide prevention. The theme came after studies revealed a person will die of suicide every 40 seconds; although suicide is not always correlate to mental health, the two do often link together so it is important to acknowledge how they may relate.

“The object of making suicide prevention the theme of World Mental Health Day in 2019 is to attract the attention of governments so that the issue might be given priority in public health agendas around the world,” Trimboli said in a public statement.

“Getting people to talk about a subject that tends to be taboo and about which many hold mistaken and prejudiced ideas will help the community to learn about the risk factors so that they can identify and learn to address them,” he continued.

It is important to keep in mind just because a person has have mental health issues, it does not mean they are suicidal.

If you are struggling with your mental health or someone you know, please meet with a counselor at Student Wellness Services. You may also contact the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline or call 800-273-8255.  In case of an emergency, call 911 or a local hospital.