Week One Fantasy Football Picks

With Week One of the NFL season around the corner, members of The Recorder sports staff decided who will shine, surprise and disappoint in the league’s 100th season.

Trevi Alickolli, Assistant Sports Editor

SURE THING: Davante Adams WR, Packers @ Bears

Adams is a sure thing every week, but the task of facing the Bears defense might scare some people. The fact is, Chicago has good but not great corners and one of the best receivers in the NFL will find a way to get his production.

SLEEPER: Damion Willis WR, Bengals @ Seahawks

Willis is projected to score 2.13 points in Week 1 according to NFL.com Fantasy, but it was reported earlier in the preseason that he will take the role of WR1 with AJ Green out with injury. After an impressive preseason, Willis should receive a good amount of targets and potentially a scoring opportunity as WR1 for the Bengals.

BUST: Saquon Barkley RB, Giants @ Cowboys

The last time Barkley visited Jerry’s world, the Dallas defense held him to only 28 yards rushing, 80 yards receiving but no scores. Dallas defense did not get worse this offseason and Barkley should expect the same results Week 1.

Ryan Jones, Sports Editor

SURE THING: Baker Mayfield QB, Browns @ Titans

Mayfield is coming off a Rookie of the Year season and added wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. to the fray. While the Titans had a strong defense last season, the offensive improvements of the Browns should lead Mayfield to Top Five week.

SLEEPER: Sam Darnold QB, Jets vs. Bills

Playing against fellow 2018 NFL Draft pick and division rival Josh Allen, Darnold will prove the Jets right for picking him four selections higher than Buffalo’s head man. Darnold has looked strong all preseason and doesn’t appear to be approaching the dreaded “sophomore slump.”

BUST: Antonio Brown WR, Raiders vs. Broncos

After all of his off-field antics this offseason, Brown will have to put his money where his mouth is in Week One. Facing a tough Broncos’ secondary including stud cornerback Chris Harris, AB will struggle in his debut for the Black & Silver.

Daniel Fappiano, Editor-in-Chief

SURE THING: Leonard Fournette RB, Jaguars vs. Chiefs

Taking on arguably the league’s best offense, the Jaguars will need to show a spark of their own. While Nick Foles was the big offseason signing, Fournette will return to his dominant roots trying to keep up against a league average defense.

SLEEPER: Lamar Jackson QB, Ravens @ Miami

After being deemed as just a running quarterback as a rookie, the Ravens went out and added multiple pass-catchers for sophomore Jackson. He should be able to shine in both the air and on the ground against arguably the worst football team in the league.

BUST: Joe Mixon RB, Bengals @ Seahawks

While Mixon shined last season, he is now playing under a new head coach and a new offense. Facing a stout Seahawks defense that just added Jadeveon Clowney and likely playing from behind throughout will spell doom for the Bengals’ running back.