How To Maximize Success As A CCSU Freshman

Julia Conant, Arts & Entertainment Editor

Most people come to college for the same reason: to be successful. Starting out as a freshman, you may not think you need to search for success until you’ve got that degree and go job hunting. However, this couldn’t be further from the truth. Central offers so many opportunities to get a jump start on success and it would be unwise not to take advantage of them. Here are just some of the things you should be doing to guarantee success throughout college.

Join Success Central

Success Central is a program for Central Connecticut freshmen and sophomores who may be nervous about college or want a bit of extra guidance. Mentees get paired up with a junior or senior mentor who has already experienced life at Central for a couple years. The mentor and mentee meet once a week and discuss which areas the mentee feels they are lacking in. Each week, the mentor and mentee make a goal for the mentee to achieve. For example, if the mentee knows they need to spend more time studying, the goal for the week could be to spend at least thirty minutes per day studying. Overall, it’s a helpful way to keep yourself in check during your first couple years of college.

Get an on-campus job

Having a job during the semester is a great way to earn money to pay off your student loans. However, some off-campus employers don’t take into account the busy schedule college students have. This is why it can be ideal to get a job on campus. Employers on campus understand that school is your first priority, therefore, they are lenient with scheduling your work hours. You may find yourself working less than ten hours per week, which is ideal if you’re just starting college and getting used to the workload. In addition, getting an on-campus job can help you become more involved in the university. It’ll help you build relationships with faculty members, therefore expanding your horizons and gaining more business connections.

Join a club

Many of the clubs Central offers would look great on a resume. This is especially true if the club you join pertains to the type of career you want in the future. If your major has to do with politics, Student Government Association would be useful. If you’re a communications major, Central Activities Network would be a great club to join. Not only would it look good on a resume, these clubs can also help you build connections within your field of study.

Utilize the Learning Center

In case you weren’t aware, Central offers free tutoring for all of it’s students. If you’re having homework trouble, don’t understand the way your professor explained something to you in class or just want a healthy environment to study in, the Learning Center is the place to go. Simply check the Learning Center’s website to see when they offer tutoring for the subject you need help with and walk in when the time comes. The Learning Center is located in Willard-Diloreto Hall, room 316.

Any combination of these tips could be helpful for an incoming freshman or sophomore looking for a path at Central. Following even one of these ideas will hopefully increase your success rates and provide you with a brighter future.