New Vice President Of Student Affairs Plans To Increase Student Engagement

Shaina Blakesley, Managing Editor

The start of the spring semester brought new classes, students and a new vice president of the Office of Student Affairs. Dr. Michael Jasek’s hope is to help Central Connecticut students feel like a part of CCSU’s history and legacy.

“I know personally, anecdotally and research-wise [that] a student who’s more involved outside the classroom is more likely to persist to graduation,” Jasek said. “For me, that’s about when the student leaves here in a better place in their life to find a job that pays well and allows them to contribute back to society.”

CCSU began looking for a new vice president almost two years ago. Jasek filled the spot this January.

The Texas native earned his undergraduate and Master’s degrees at Texas A&M University, and his doctorate at the University of West Florida. While in Texas, Jasek worked at Texas State University in Residence Life and New Student Orientation.

In 2004, he moved to Pensacola, Florida, where he worked at his doctorate alma mater as the director of New Student Transition Programs. While there, he spent eight years climbing the ladder to become the associate dean of students.

Moving to the west in 2012, Jasek landed in Las Cruces, New Mexico to work at New Mexico State University as its dean of students. His 20-year journey through Student Affairs all culminated to his position at Central, where his goal is to increase student participation on campus.

“A goal and aspiration would be that every student is getting involved outside of the classroom and [to] increase engagement with the institution,” Jasek stated.

His experience made him appealing to CCSU’s Student Government Association.

“I was looking for a vice president who was good about making connections and showed history or evidence of supporting all students at previous institutions,” SGA President Kassandra Fruin, who was tasked by CCSU President Dr. Zulma Toro for both candidate searches, stated. “I believe to foster a better environment, the new Vice President had to be someone who was willing to come out of their comfort zone and truly make time for all student groups.”

When looking for this position, Jasek stated he was seeking a smaller institution with between 10,000 and 15,000 students. He also wanted a school that was Regional Comprehensive, often called the “people’s university.”

“The mission of the regional is to serve the people of the state, which means sometimes that’s giving an opportunity for people who wouldn’t have an opportunity otherwise to go to higher education,” Jasek said. “And I think higher education really helps to resolve social issues because it’s giving mobility to people. But if you’re not allowing them into institutions, then that mobility is not even granted from the very beginning.”

As the oldest university in the state, opening its doors in 1849 to educate teachers, Central has a long history that intrigued Jasek in pursuit of his current position.

“I think [the history] really solidifies the identity of the institution and what niche are they going to serve,” Jasek stated. 

In his first month at Central, Jasek observed the already ingrained participation students possess, but he aims to push that boundary further.

“I do look around and see a lot of student involvement,” Jasek said. “So I think our students are very hungry for that I just got to find a way to give them even more opportunity.”

Jasek believes that forming a division as a team can increase student involvement and integration amongst the departments.

“I want the directors to feel that they truly have a say in what happens in the division and they’re not just part of their unit and as a result of that we’re able to support the students,” Jasek said.

Jasek aims to increase student involvement by utilizing the various divisions of Student Affairs. He also emphasized the importance of joining on-campus organizations or student-led events.

“Students a lot of times are like, ‘I don’t have time for that,’ and I get that, but I’m not asking you to get involved in 20 things. Find one thing to get involved in,” Jasek concluded. 

Jasek has the potential to meet the expectations of the Central’s campus community, according to Fruin.

“I personally think his wit, drive and confidence makes him a well-rounded person for the job of vice president of student affairs,” Fruin concluded. “I already can see he’s making big attempts to educate himself of our needs and I am very excited to see what he will accomplish.”