WFCS Hosts Blue Devil Lip Sync Battle

Julia Conant, Social Media Editor

Julia Conant
Helen Moore lip synced to Cee Lo Green’s “Forget You.”

Students were encouraged to step on stage, solo or in a group, giving the DJ the name of the song they wanted to perform and lip sync their heart out. After that, a challenger would arise and do their own lip sync performance. Once both performances were completed, the panel of judges gave their input then audience applause determined the winner of that round.

Last Thursday, Central Connecticut’s radio station WFCS hosted Devil’s Den @ 10 with a lip sync battle.

The night consisted of five main lip sync battles.

The first battle featured Leah Jensen and SGA treasurer Kristina DeVivo, who met only minutes before their performance. DeVivo and Jensen performed Queen’s “Bohemian Rhapsody” and looking at their on stage chemistry, you would never guess that they had just met that night.

The challenger Steven Dwyer strutted on stage performing Sia’s “Cheap Thrills.”

The judges and audience were evidently more captivated by Dwyer’s solo performance, making Dwyer the first champion of the night.

For the next battle, James Iovanna and Andrew Chavez came prepared in matching white tee shirts and khaki pants. They performed Hoodie Allen’s “No Interruption.” The boys seemed to have a strategy to their performance by engaging with the judges.

Iovanna and Chavez would point at them and lip sync, “I’ll give it to you no interruption.”

Erik Kryzanski challenged this dynamic duo with an even more impressive performance of Gucci Mane’s “Both.” Unfortunately for Chavez and Iovanna, their matching outfits were not enough to sway the audience causing Kryzanski to win the second round of the battle.

To start off round three, Helen Moore performed Cee Lo Green’s “Forget You.” She wowed the audience with her dancing and confidence but was challenged by Alexis Reid, Tatiana Cooper and Tavon Smith, who performed Migos’s “Bad and Boujee.”

These three had a strategy to engage with the audience by walking around the room, weaving in between tables. Despite this seemingly solid strategy, Reid, Cooper and Smith could not match Moore’s undeniable energy, handing Moore the third win of the night.

An intense battle arose next, as the two competitors in round four had history.

Freshman Mark Kraeger faced off against his former freshman orientation leader, Alissa Anglis, making for a captivating mentor versus mentee scenario.

Anglis performed Cardi B’s “Money,” while Kraeger performed Ariana Grande’s “Thank U, Next.” Apparently, Anglis taught Kraeger well during his orientation, because the mentee beat the mentor, making Kraeger the fourth winner of the night.

For the final battle, Maxwell Kwashie performed Bruno Mars’s “Calling All My Lovelies” against Bryce Corey and Treyvone Walker’s performance of Trippie Red’s “Dark Knight Dummo.” Kwashie called all the lovelies and the championship.

Not only did everyone who performed receive a prize, but the event also provided free food and free posters that students could have customized with a photo of them. Overall the lip sync battle was a lively event full of energy, the perfect way to spend a Thursday night on campus.