Competition For A Cause Winners Announced

Kristina Vakhman

CCSU food pantry Maria’s Place, where Competition for a Cause donations went, provides food to students in need.

Kristina Vakhman and Kelly Langevin

The “Competition For A Cause” food drive, which annually pits Central Connecticut against New Britain to see who could donate more to support community families in the upcoming holiday season, came to an end as November closed. Now, the CCSU club winners have been announced.

Habitat for Humanity came in first, Women’s Volleyball Club came in second and History Club came in third, according to Student Government Association Senator Jamie Carbone, who chairs the Student Life Committee, which ran CCSU’s side of the fundraiser.

“It is during this time of the year we should not only celebrate what we are thankful for but take it a step farther and give to those who may not be as fortunate,” Carbone said in an interview.

For coming in first place, Habitat for Humanity received $300 that was placed into their club budget account. Women’s Volleyball Club received $200 and History Club received $100.

Habitat For Humanity President Becca Withington was more than pleased that the club placed first and was able to make a difference.

“Our members have gone above and beyond in donating non-perishable goods that will directly help those in need this holiday season,” Withington said.

The Habitat for Humanity Club has participated in the fundraiser before, making this year no different.

“The [club] is all about helping our local community. We have participated in Competition For A Cause for the past few years because it’s a great cause that helps families in our community. We are always ready to do what we can to help out,” Withington went on.

All of the donated food is being given to Maria’s Place, Central’s on-campus food pantry where students can go to pick up to 10 food items for free. Carbone said that the donations were not as plentiful as last year, but were still advantageous in succeeding at Competition for a Cause’s goal to help families in need.

“Any contribution was appreciated and will be benefitting our students,” Carbone said.