SGA Swears In New Senators

Kristina Vakhman, News Editor

Central Connecticut’s Student Government Association inaugurated its 2018 fall and run-off election’s winners last Wednesday, bringing new faces to the government’s meeting table.

According to President Kassandra Fruin, the general election’s turn-out was double than last year’s with 416 votes compared to 2017’s 211. 66 people voted in the run-off election, which occurred because of ties in votes for certain positions, a first in Fruin’s four-year-long career in the Senate.

“It was a bit stressful but absolutely necessary. It was a huge accomplishment that we had [over] 400 [voters] and I don’t believe the run-off would have been as successful if we had not reached that number in the general,” Fruin said.

Ultimately, 11 new senators joined the SGA. We asked them one question: “What do you hope to achieve as an SGA senator and what is your biggest goal?” 

First-Year Senators
“I hope that as an SGA senator, I listen to the community’s needs and wants and voice those concerns and have positive change come from it. My biggest goal would be to propose something which has a lasting impact here on campus for many graduating classes to come.” – Edward Anderson | 44 votes

“As president of my high school last year, I was able to bring about serious change in the way students were represented, something that hasn’t been possible in the past. I want to continue that trend. I want to ensure that students here can have the college experience they hope to have, without worry of budgetary restrictions or unnecessary boundaries. My biggest goal is to continue representing the student body throughout my time here at CCSU.” – Matthew Kuroghlian | 56 votes

“I hope to learn what role the SGA plays in the CCSU community and how I personally can help with concerns, community involvement, student affairs and share ideas that can continue improving our CCSU experience. My biggest goal is to make a difference by enriching our college community so everyone can take advantage of all CCSU has to offer.” – Melody Rivera | 41 votes in the general election, 18 votes in the run-off election
“My biggest goal to accomplish in the SGA is to help students understand what is going on at CCSU. As a commuter, I realize it is easy to just come in to class then leave immediately after, but I want people to know that there is more. I want to give people an easy place where they can find what is going on and decide if they are interested. I think that would best benefit the community.” – Caleb Wells 41 votes in the general election, 17 votes in the run-off election
Kei Jahaj and Olivia Porter could not be reached for comment.

Commuter Senators
“I hope to help students find a way to express their concerns which will result in a more successful college career. My goal is to promote Blue Devil pride and help students feel involved in our campus community. I am thrilled to be a member of not only the SGA but the Student Life Committee. Go, Devils!” – Adrianna Aresco | 115 votes

“I hope to connect with the student body and use my power to push for the greater good.” – Humera Gul | 60 votes in the general election, 48 votes in the run-off

German Rojas could not be reached for comment.

At-Large Senators

“I would like to achieve a more diverse campus. I would like to see more in the way of academic and social supports on campus, including, but not limited to, tutoring in more subjects and more special interest organizations, respectively. My biggest goal is to do everything in my power to make the campus a better place and serve the needs of our students and our community, to serve the greater good.” – Demitric Baez | 218 votes

“I hope to achieve good relationships with my fellow senators. My biggest goal is to obtain positive academic policy changes across campus. As a member of the Academic Affairs Committee, I can do a lot to strengthen the relationship SGA has with faculty while expanding the use of open educational resources such as free online textbooks.” – Andrew Pilkons | 168 votes in the general election, 66 votes in the run-off election