Letter to the Editor: Treasurer’s Response To Call For Impeachment

Dear Editor,

My name is Kristina DeVivo. I am the Treasurer of the Student Government Association. Last week, a concerned student came forward over a post on my private Snapchat. She spoke publicly to both the Senate and The Recorder. Regarding the post, I would like to note that I have apologized to Ms. Ally Clark publicly and privately as it was never my intent to cause her distress. However, I am deeply troubled by the accusations which are being made by Ms. Clark.

The rally was a peaceful protest about Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh and his confirmation process. It also intended to show solidarity for Dr. Christine Blasey Ford and other victims of sexual violence. My personal belief is that the expedited Kavanaugh confirmation disregarded the traumatic experiences of Dr. Ford and other survivors, which stems from established attempts aimed at keeping women quiet and oppressed.

The #MeToo movement supports implementing systematic long-term changes and accountability. Rather than validating Dr. Ford’s claim, the nation watched as 11 white male senators criticized the claim, questioned the legitimacy of Dr. Ford’s memory and talked about how Judge Kavanaugh was the real victim in his confirmation process. #HimToo was coined, through the victimization of Kavanaugh, which is nothing more than an excuse to reassert male privilege.

Ms. Clark’s #HimToo sign deeply offended me. #HimToo gives a platform of overemphasizing the occurrence of false accusations. Cindy Dampier of the Chicago Tribune wrote: “Your son is more likely to be sexually assaulted than to face false allegations.” #HimToo attempts to shift the narrative and denigrates survivors of sexual assault.

I understand the need for due process, but due process was never taken away from “him” to begin with. This counter rally decentered the issue and discussion that was at hand. Ms. Clark had every right to be there with her sign and to exercise her First Amendment rights of free speech. However, by that same merit, my First Amendment rights protect me in my criticism, no matter the way in which it’s stated, especially a private criticism posted only for my friends on Snapchat to see.

What does seem hypocritical though, is that Ms. Clark is now seeking my impeachment from a position which I was elected to by 598 students. Ms. Clark has stated that I violated the Student Code of Conduct’s privacy clause, however, this clause indicates that violations can occur when a student records or photographs a student without their consent with the intent to cause injury or distress. As stated, I did not seek to cause Ms. Clark either injury or distress, I didn’t even know her. I posted to Snapchat a group of counter-protesters, as a whole. Ms. Clark also has stated that I violated the Student Government’s Constitutional Human Rights Clause embedded in the mission statement, which I have not, as her rights have not been infringed upon. I bring this up not only to defend myself and my reputation but to ask, where is my due process? These statements have been made as if a trial, verdict and sentencing has happened. We do know that printed false statements which damage one’s reputation are what define libel.

Sincerely,

Treasurer Kristina DeVivo