News In Brief

Sarah Willson, Managing Editor

Possible Tunnel Plan For State Capitol:

Unites States Representative for Connecticut’s first congressional district John Larson recently spoke out supporting Hartford’s proposal for considering a tunnel plan for I-84 and I-91, the Hartford Courant reported.

Larson, who has been “pushing” for the plan, said the city should follow in Seattle, Washington’s footsteps and create two tunnels that would bind the two interstates together.

According to the Courant, the price tag could range anywhere from $10 to $50 billion, and skeptics are concerned as to whether or not the tunnels would successfully minimize traffic.

Kavanaugh’s Accuser Comes Forward:

A woman who claimed she was sexually assaulted by Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh more than 30 years ago has identified herself as of Sunday.

According to the Washington Post, Christine Blasey Ford said that when she and Kavanaugh were both teenagers, he “pinned her to the bed” and tried to undress her while he and his friend, who she said was with him, were both “stumbling drunk” at a party.

She told the Washington Post that he “groped her over [her] clothes” while grinding his body against hers. When she said he tried to pull off her bathing suit, she screamed, adding that Kavanaugh then put his hand over her mouth. Ford said that at one point she believed her life was in danger.

Kavanaugh denied the allegations last week, saying that “[he] did not do this back in high school or at any time.”

The situation was not brought up within the three days Kavanaugh testified before the Senate Judiciary Committee. Despite the allegations, the judiciary panel said that they do not plan to postpone the vote that is scheduled for Thursday.

Typhoon Slams China and The Phillippines: 

South China hunkered down for Typhoon Mangkhut, which killed two people and brought heavy rains and 100 mile-per-hour winds over the weekend. Over 2.4 million were forced to evacuate their homes.

The storm is said to have been one of the deadliest of 2018 after killing at least 64 and possibly burying dozens more in a landslide. Hundreds are believed to be injured.

State-run media said that some roads were blocked by downed trees and waist-deep water.

Mangkhut has weakened to a tropical depression, but will continue to move inland throughout the week.