SGA Briefs

Kristina Vakhman, News Editor

The Student Government Association meets every Wednesday at 3:05 p.m. in Bellin A and B in the Student Center. These briefs are from the SGA’s meeting on Sept. 5.

• The SGA’s retreat cost approximately $7,727.00, according to Treasurer Kristina DeVivo.
  • Senators Nicole Elsinger and Tiffany Aguilera are the SGA’s new Student Union Board of Governors representatives.
  • The CCSU Bookstore does not have books available for certain subjects, Academic Affairs Committee Chair Senator Johanna Zukowski said. The reason why Zukowski continued, is being investigated by the committee, though the Director of Student Activities and Leadership Development Scott Hazan added that this could be because departments themselves do not turn in book requests on time.
  • There will be a debate between fifth congressional district candidates Manny Santos and Jahana Hayes on Oct. 17 from 7 to 8:45 p.m. at Torp Theater in Davidson Hall.
  • The External Affairs Committee is still trying to organize a debate between the state’s gubernatorial candidates Ned Lamont and Bob Stefanowski, but Chair Senator Victor Constanza said it is unlikely the two will be able to attend, given their schedules.
  • The first Town and Gown meeting will be held on Sept. 17 from 5:30 to 7 p.m. in the Bellin Gallery. The event is put together in collaboration with the New Britain community, New Britain Police and CCSU Police to address neighborhood concerns.
  • The first Good Neighbor Campaign will be Sept. 29. More information is to come.
  • The following items passed in a consent agenda:
    • A motion to approve the Japanese Culture Club’s contingency request for $1,508.74, and cutting $1,889.94 for hotel accommodations due to quotes provided, passed.
    • A motion to approve International Association of Business Communications (IABC)’s contingency request in the full amount of $4,246.04 passed.
    • A motion to approve the Society of Professional Journalists’ contingency request of $700 and cutting $220 from registration due to quotes provided passed.