A Positive Light on CCSU

Isabella Cenatiempo, Social Media Editor

Charles Bass

Every public institution has its flaws. People are not always perfect. When unacceptable events happen, they need to be exposed.

Central Connecticut has constantly been receiving bad press lately. This creates an idea for people with no knowledge of the university to believe that it is a bad school. Central is not a bad school; it has just had some very horrible events happen. But this past first week of the semester, students have already experienced some great events.

When people focus on the negative events that have occurred in the past year, it takes away from the good.

In light of the recent negative representation of the university, every poor event came with a positive change.  All departments where an administrator or a professor was placed on academic leave were corrected or steps were taken to make the necessary changes needed.

For example, the CCSU Police Department has already taken steps to change this by placing Richard Bachoo, the Chief Administrative Officer, on administrative leave. The police department has also hired Bernard Sullivan as the assistant to the president of safety.

The main point that I believe should be conveyed to students, past, present and future, as well as to families and faculty, as that this kind of behavior will not be tolerated at Central. The administration has done well in resolving these issues promptly. When the safety of students and residents comes into question, the only people who will be able to accurately represent their concerns are students themselves.

The only way the reputation of the school can be rebuilt is for systems to be put in place to ensure the safety of students, faculty and administrators make sure nothing involving sexual misconduct happens again.