CCSU Students Ready for Connecticut Elections

Kelly Langevin and Kristina Vakhman

Party-registered voters made their way to the Connecticut polls less than two weeks ago in hopes to make their voices heard about the officials who will determine the state’s future in November’s elections.

Their votes determined party candidates for statewide offices including governor, the state House and Senate and two United States congressional seats.

On the Democratic side of the governor’s race, Ned Lamont beat Joe Ganim for the nomination. Lamont’s platform includes equal pay for equal work and paid family and medical leave, as well as protecting against harassment in the workplace. Continuing with work, Lamont is also supporting increasing minimum wage to $15.

Lamont is also an advocate for preventing gun violence, tightening existing gun laws and closing loopholes such as limiting the number of firearms that may be purchased at once.

On the Republican side, Bob Stefanowski won the nomination, topping four other candidates. His five-step plan to rebuild Connecticut includes campaign promises ranging from phasing out corporate income tax, business entity tax and state income tax. He also said he wants to enact a taxpayer bill of rights.

In addition, former Republican and now-Independent candidate Oz Griebel, whose running mate is a Democrat, is still seeking signatures to appear on the gubernatorial ballot.

Central Connecticut students are placing their focus on the elections. Sophomore Laurenzo Thompkins voiced his opinion on his candidate of choice, Stefanowksi, and on the issues, he cares about that he believes Stefanowski will address.

“I like Bob Stefanowski because he supports small business owners like the people I work for [at] a deli and my stepdad [who] owns a contracting business where he does windows and roofing and really anything,” Thompkins commented. “Stefanowski also wants to cut taxes. [His tax cuts would do] more for consumers because they have more money in their pockets from paying less taxes.”

Aside from governor’s race, Central students are also paying attention to the upcoming races for the state’s other open positions. For some, their support is for those who’ve had an impact on their personal lives.

Jahana Hayes, a Kennedy High School teacher from Waterbury, Connecticut had no political experience. However, she managed to capture the Democratic nomination for Connecticut’s 5th District seat on Tuesday. Her advancement made her one step closer to becoming the first black Democrat elected to the U.S. House of Representatives from New England.

Central student Frenkli Rusi knew Hayes personally as he attended Kennedy High School where she won national teacher of the year.

“I supported Jahana Hayes in Waterbury because I felt like she can advocate for a hugely unrepresented portion of Waterbury. [Hayes winning] makes me feel hopeful for a better future in Waterbury. It also shows that more people, especially younger ones, are going out to vote,” Rusi said.

Connecticut’s elections will take place on Nov. 6. Potential voters who have not yet registered can register online at https://voterregistration.ct.gov/OLVR/welcome.do if they have a Connecticut DMV ID, or can register at the DMV when obtaining or renewing a driver’s license.