SGA Briefs

Kristina Vakhman, News Editor

The Student Government Association meets every Wednesday at 3:05 p.m. in Bellin A and B in the Student Center. These briefs are from the SGA’s retreat meeting on Aug. 12.

• As part of a new initiative, clubs will be able to select their SGA liaison up until Meet-the-Senate, according to Vice President Dante Solano. The Meet-the-Senate event date is yet to be determined.
  • External Affairs is planning a debate between Republican and Democratic nominees of Connecticut’s upcoming election. It is looking to be on Sept. 6 at 7 p.m. However, it is uncertain whether it will occur, as Republican gubernatorial candidate Bob Stefanowski has not responded to the committee’s inquest, Senator Victor Constanza said.
  • Mandatory bystander training for clubs will begin and will be held throughout the semester.
  • Treasurer Kristina DeVivo stated that the Finance Committee has implemented new guidelines to “ensure a closer relationship with our clubs.” These guidelines include a new dress code for committee members, new language “to ensure a smooth base budget season” and club training to help with the financial process.
  • A motion to add External Affairs to Article IV: Standing Committees in the Constitution passed.
  • The following motions passed in a consent agenda:
    • Motion to allocate $15,500.00 to the Public Affairs committee for their 2018-19 budget from account SG9195.
    • Motion to allocate $6,650 from account SG9195 to the Student Life committee for the upcoming 2018-19 school year.
    • Motion to not exceed $2,425.00 for the 2018-19 budget for the Academic Affairs committee from SG9195.
    • Motion to allow senators to use Skype Business to attend committee meetings with the approval of the committee chair. The chair may also make a decision to hold a meeting via Skype for business if they deem it necessary.
    • Motion for the Academic Affairs Committee to search for professors who have implemented Open Education Resources correctly and successfully through student submissions and recommendations, narrowing down the submissions to one “Pioneer of the Year” who shall receive the award, and present said award at the Excellence in Teaching award ceremony annually.
    • Motion to make the moment which minutes are released the official notification and the beginning of the 24-hour period appeals must be made in.
    • Motion to accept the Election Timeline General Election Fall 2018.
    • Motion to accept the Election Guidelines for Fall 2018.