Challenging the ‘Freshman 15’

Tessa Stack, Staff Writer

A lot of the students entering the college atmosphere have heard of the “Freshman 15.”

For those who are not aware, it is a transitioning period where new college students gain a rough estimate of 15 pounds their first semester.  

For most young adults ranging from the ages of 17 to 21, moving into the dorms or an off-campus apartment means more freedom. However, living without the constant supervision of parents or guardians can be difficult, having to adjust to a new atmosphere where eating habits can be easily transformed for the worst.

Though being at college and eating whatever you see fit seems like a good thing, the Freshman 15 can easily turn into the Freshman 50 if you are not aware of some preventable measures to make sure your health is in check. 

Though not many students realize it, Central Connecticut offers wonderful programs that are available to students for free. RECentral has Bootcamp, Yoga, Aerobics, Zumba, Cycling, Full Body Burns and 8-minute Ab classes available every week. Students can swim in the Kaiser Pool for open swim during certain hours of the day; check out the RECentral page or stop by the RECentral office in Kaiser 044 for more information on pool hours, gym hours and special events.

When it comes to food and diet while attending college, a helpful reminder is to eat three balanced meals a day. For breakfast, the dining hall does offer healthy alternatives such as yogurt and fruit. Those chocolate chip pancakes can be very tempting, but it is important to know that there are other options.

For lunch, going for a salad instead of the greasy pizza slices can really make a difference. Memorial Hall sets up a salad bar for lunch every day, and Devil’s Den offers other healthy options such as a variety of wraps and salads, particularly at Sub Connection.

For dinners, it is important to incorporate vegetables into your protein options. Having a balanced meal is always key to staying away from gaining those extra pounds.

At the end of the day, getting a good night’s sleep and trying to spice up your meals with healthy alternatives can make all the difference.