Commencement 2023: Fast Approaching

Sareena Sattar, Staff Writer

Graduating students expressed feelings of contentment, stress, and excitement for their commencement on May 13.

Erica Ugbo, a mechanical engineering major and president of the “Society of Women Engineers” is graduating this spring semester. 

“I’ve never been so stressed in my entire academic career,” she said. “But that makes me all the more excited to cross the finish line. It’s like running a marathon and being absolutely exhausted, but also knowing there’s a refreshing glass of water waiting for you when you finish.” 

She said studying during COVID greatly impacted her, especially with time management skills.  

“It gave me the chance to learn how to work on myself while balancing school and work,” she said. “In turn, [COVID] allowed me to go looking for open doors of opportunity.”   

Ugbo said that it was a hard time for herself and many students but it only forced her to become more ambitious. She said as a first-year undergraduate when COVID officially started, it gave her a lot of time to consider where she wanted to go after her undergraduate years. 

Olanrewaju Olamuyiwa, a political science major and president of the “Student Government Association” is graduating this spring. 

“I honestly still can’t believe that I will be a college graduate,” he said. “It’s a dream come true for me and especially my family. I feel blessed to be able to be at this point in my life. It was not an easy journey, but I persevered, and here I am graduating!”  

Olamuyiwa was on the basketball team when the pandemic started, which played a significant role in his ability to play and interact with others.  

“I was isolated and moved around to different dorm buildings,” he said. “The university also placed me in off–campus housing. Although the change was strange, I was able to connect with my teammates and friends, and my support systems helped me through the difficult times.”