Tune In With DJ Emily

Maddie Ceci, Contributor

A brief stroll through the Student Center is a part of many students’ mundane routine on campus, but there is a moment that could simply be described as unique when walking by the radio station. With a quick side glance, on-goers can witness DJs in action or controversial discussions take place, all being aired live.

The station’s official name is “107.7 WFCS New Britain Hartford The Edge,” and it broadcasts podcasts, talk shows and music from our campus student center. Student DJs and Central staff make up the station, which has been airing since 1947, nearly 73 years.

One of the radio station’s member is DJ Emily, who started at the station back in September. First year student Emily Leite, an accounting major, became interested in being a DJ soon after she attend the club fair during the fall semester.

“The live DJ and music they were playing caught my attention.” Leite said, regarding when she first discovered her opportunity to have a spot at the station. She currently takes the role of a reoccurring DJ.

Leading up to her broadcast time, she creates a playlist of any music she enjoys or finds popular and carefully listens to make sure the song is radio friendly — if it’s not, she must find a clean version. Leite informed that all DJ’s must do this as the station is very clean, yet still close to what everyone wants to hear.

Leite has found that since joining the station, her music variety has expanded as she gets inspired through friends, fellow music creators and new versions of songs.

“I play everything, but now my taste in music has a wider variety since I see what other people play and I get inspired,” Leite said.

The station has opened up many new doors for students interested in learning about music and running broadcasts. For any students who might be contemplating taking a role at the station, Leite’s advice is simple.

“Come on down to hangout and see what it’s about,” Leite said. “If you like it, you can apply to be a DJ and go through training.”

As some students might feel intimidated, Leite explained she was nervous at first, but quickly found her place.

“I was worried at first, but it wasn’t as bad as I thought and I wasn’t a big talker. When I’m here I get a chill vibe and it’s relaxing to be in the studio.”

Leite explained that the quiet environment gives students the time to do their work and participate in other extracurricular activities, all while allowing time in the station.

When Leite isn’t running the booth during her selected time, her student role takes over and she can be found studying for her next exam, writing an essay or at a C.A.N. meeting. In her free time, she enjoys watching Netflix, walking around campus, napping and going to her fun building activities.

When you walk by the station window, be sure to give DJ Emily a wave; to listen in on her show tune into 107.7 on Wednesdays between 4 and 6 p.m. Towards the end of the segment, you might hear her signature phrase, “Thanks for listening with DJ Emily, see you next week, eeerowww.”