Polish President Makes Historic Visit To New Britain

Ryan Jones, Sports Editor

Thousands of Connecticut’s deep rooted Polish community braved the harsh sun Sunday to witness history. Polish President Andrzej Duda’s visited Walnut Hill Park to meet the community that makes up 30 percent of New Britain’s population, the first time he, or any Polish President, had visited the state.

“This turn out is amazing, people are coming out not only to pay respects to the President but to celebrate Poland and the Polish heritage and traditions that have so enriched this nation,” Democratic Senator Richard Blumenthal said in an interview with The Recorder.

“We owe so much to people who have come here from Poland and we’re celebrating that today,” Blumenthal said.

The Polish population of New Britain has always played a huge part in the telling of the city’s history. New Britain has the largest Polish population of any city in Connecticut and five of the city’s mayors have been of Polish decent. In 2008, Broad Street and its surrounding area, the epicenter of New Britain’s thriving Polish community, was officially dubbed “Little Poland.”

Despite arriving 45 minutes later than expected, the crowd was still quick to greet President Duda with a spirited rendition of Poland’s national anthem.

Before Duda would greet the thousands gathered, he was welcomed by speakers representing the state. New Britain Mayor Erin Stewart started her speech in Polish, garnering a reassuring thumbs-up from President Duda. Stewart went on to grant the President the key to the city, accompanied by a specially made Stanley Black & Decker tape measurer manufactured in New Britain.

Speaking entirely in Polish, Duda praised the Polish-Americans of New Britain and extended a welcome invitation back to Poland to all of Connecticut’s Polish population. The President went on to present awards to leaders within the Polish-American community and enjoyed some traditional Polish performances, such as dancing and singing.

Martin Krawic, Polish immigrant, was one of the many in attendance Sunday.

“Not being in my country for 20 years, having that chance to meet the President of Poland, it’s huge,” Krawic expressed.

He continued with high praise for the work Duda has done in his homeland. “In Europe we are becoming a strong country,” Krawic said. “The absolute opposite of when I left, so for me it’s huge.”

“They wake up our spirits. You feel pride in being a Polish citizen,” Krawic added.

While his Walnut Hill stop had the largest turnout, the head-of-state first made other stops in New Britain.

Duda attended a packed mass at Sacred Heart Church, who has housed the Catholic Polish since its first construction in 1896. He went on to visit Central Connecticut State University’s Polish Studies office.

CCSU’s Polish Studies Program was founded in 1974 by the late Dr. Stanislaus A. Blejwas. Blejwas was the first person designated a Connecticut State University professor by the CSU System (per CCSU).

Duda met with Dr. M.B. Biskupski, the Stanislaus A. Blejwas Endowed Chair in Polish and Polish American Studies.

“The Polish Studies Program here is very old and to be recognized by the President of Poland, it indicates that Poland knows about the program here and the President of Poland wants to acknowledge its,” Biskupski said.”That’s a compliment beyond anything the Polish Studies program has ever had.”

“The fact that the president of the country I love would come to CCSU is not only an honor, but it’s also very moving,“Biskupski said.

Historian Troy Kennard was also in attendance of the festivities at Walnut Park Sunday to watch “history in the making.”

“It’s a great thing that President Duda has come here and recognized the growing Polish community. Poland and the United States have always had a spirit of cooperation,” Kennard said, citing the Revolutionary War as an example.

“Without their contributions, we might not have a country here…We’ve always had great relations with Poland and I hope this is another building block on that movement.”

To cap off his visit, President Duda visited a local restaurant in New Britain’s Little Poland just before getting back on the road. Following his Connecticut visit, Duda will be traveling New York to attend the United Nations’ General Assembly.