Barrows Next Top Model Promotes Inclusivity

Air Perez, Staff Writer

Barrows Hall hosted a fashion show that promoted all kinds of beauty. The models ranged from short, tall, slim to curvy. Each model picked their own outfits and competed in three scenes: Spring, Neon and Redrum in order to participate in the Fashion Club’s upcoming show on April 18.

Ever since I was younger, I have always wanted to be a model. Unfortunately, due to people always criticizing my weight and my body, my hopes of strutting down a runway were cut short. Barrows Next Top Model was my opportunity to live the dream I always hoped to achieve.

I first heard about the program through a Hall Council meeting. Three Resident Advisers in my building announced that they were hosting a fashion show program and that any resident was allowed to participate. I messaged them immediately and secured my spot.

In preparation for the show, all contestants practiced their walks in front of the RA’s and received advice on how to improve. We were being judged on our facial expressions, poses and walks. We had to pick our own outfits according to what we thought would be appropriate for each scene. Most of the models, including myself, chose floral print pieces for the spring scene. For Neon and Redrum, we all basically picked pieces that would match with the color themes of each scene.

The show premiered on Thursday, March 28 at 8 p.m. I quickly got dressed for the first scene, which was Spring and ran down to the first-floor lobby in Barrows. The lobby was decorated with lights hanging from the ceilings and a red fabric runway was put in place with rose petals scattered everywhere.

We all practiced one more time before the show started. All of the models were extremely nervous, but we all complimented each other’s outfits and gave words of encouragement. I couldn’t believe that my dream of being in a fashion show was about to come true.

The first scene was Spring. I was the second model to go out onto the runway and I immediately felt empowered. All eyes and all attention were on me. It felt liberating. For so long, I was always taught to be ashamed of my appearance and to cover myself as much as possible, but on that runway, I felt free and beautiful. For this scene, I wore a yellow sundress with floral print on the skirt and a white embroidered shawl on top. I wore a fake flower in my hair and threw fake flowers at the judge’s table as I reached the front of the runway.

I wasn’t in the neon scene and actually missed seeing that scene because I was getting ready. The final scene was Redrum. I wore a red lace bodysuit, burgundy satin robe, velvet burgundy leggings and black boots with embroidered flowers on the sides. I topped off the outfit with a pair of red cat ears and a dark lip. I glided down the runway with the most confidence I could build up.

For the final scene of the show, all of the models walked down the runway together as the crowd roared and cheered. We were all so proud of each other and everyone looked amazing. Deena Lavado, a Communication student and participant, was also satisfied at the wide range of diversity the cast had.

“I joined because it would be a nice confidence booster and I also love fashion. It made sense for me to participate,” Lavado said. “I felt very liberated and all of the girls were so supportive of each other.”

Three winners were announced and the first place winner now has the privilege of participating in a scene at the Fashion Club’s upcoming show on April 18. Even though I didn’t make the top three, I was still happy that I participated. I went completely out of my comfort zone and did something that I have always dreamed of doing. Hopefully, this could be a tradition that Barrows can continue for years to come.