Offensive Struggles Plague Lacrosse On The Road

Ryan Jones, Assistant Sports Editor

One remaining game separates Central Connecticut lacrosse from the start of Northeast Conference play. With the less critical, out-of-conference schedule soon to be all but finished, the Blue Devils looked to start working out the kinks this past week as they took on Drexel and Monmouth on the road.

In the first match of the two-game road trip, the Blue Devils were unable to generate a consistent offensive attack against Monmouth. Taking only two shots in the first half, Central mustered nine overall in the contest, a season-low. Central still managed to score on those two shot attempts, as sophomore Carissa Brown and senior Carson Adelberger each knocked down unassisted goals in the first 30 minutes.

The ball control proved to be a significant factor in Central’s struggles against Monmouth on Wednesday. Turnovers, ground balls and draw controls all could tell the story of the offense. The Blue Devils turned the ball over at a season-high rate (34) while also posting a season-low in draw controls (three).

Despite a low output of shots, the Blue Devils were still able to remain close to the Hawks due in large part to the play behind the net. Senior Jackie Branthover, appearing in her 50th game for the Blue Devils, recorded a career-high 21 saves in the loss.

While only allowing five goals on 20 Hawk shots, the Blue Devil defense in the goal could only keep them close for so long. The second half of play saw with it more of drought from Central’s offense, with sophomore Kaitlyn Rapp scoring the lone goal for the Blue Devils. Monmouth, on the other hand, would put up seven goals on 22 shots against Branthover, securing a 12-3 victory for the Hawks.

After its defeat Wednesday, the Blue Devils traveled to Philadelphia Saturday to take on then 4-4 Drexel. Unlike its battle against Monmouth, neither side of the ball shined against the Dragons.

For the first time all season, Branthover was taken out of the goal for the Blue Devils within the final 10 minutes of the game. She would finish the day allowing 20 goals to the 25 shots she faced, tying a season-high in scores allowed. Sophomore Cooper Cowdin would get an opportunity in the net for the first time this season, and added a save to the six total made between the two.

Similar to the match-up with the Hawks, the Blue Devil offense was unable to put a lot of shots against the Drexel goal, finishing with nine to the Dragons’ 37. Adelberger would lead the Central offense with two goals on the day, putting her at 14 goals on the year, the most on the team.

The Blue Devils have got one more game against Vermont before the NEC play begins against LIU Brooklyn. Vermont, who will travel to play Central on Wednesday, are 6-1 on the year and have outscored its opponents on an average of seven points so far this season. While the game means little for the standings, the Blue Devils will certainly want to get heated up in time for  impending conference play.